Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
just got back from the bone yard and got me a brand new chrome style volt reg. and a orange ingnition box. now is this the infamous one? its all orange with a blue heat sink on it. got them both for about 10$.
so wat is the mane differance between boxs? seen lots of differnt colors ut there ... any one know the specs on these boxes?

·
Registered
5,049 Posts
if it is the orange box it allows the capacitor to store more energy basically, it can give you a bit hotter spark, with a good coil it can be quite a bit hotter spark, the chrome boxes are using a transistor capable of 10k rpm which the orange usually gets wongo around 7k or so. it is all depending on the capacitor and transistor, the orange is a good box though

jamie

·
Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
there was a chrome one there too on a van... maybe i should get it too.. as a back up..

·
Premium Member
5,548 Posts
robo51 said:
there was a chrome one there too on a van... maybe i should get it too.. as a back up..
Many of the generic aftermarket replacements are chrome plated. Orange box is good enough for any daily driver or street driven vehicle.

·
Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
well i got the orange one in now and so far a smotther ignition,,, and seems too be a bit more responsive...next time im at the bone yard there ill grab the chrome one too. hell there cheap enof there and easy too change too.

·
Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
so... any one kno0w the specs or differences....

·
Registered
49 Posts
The aftermarket "chrome" boxes are an OEM replacement
The mopar performance "chrome box" is good for general high-performance use up through 8,000 rpm.
The orange box is good for use up through 6,000 rpm.

The GOLD ignition controllers from Mopar Performance will give you a hotter spark and more ignition capability. They're designed to handle the higher current demand of high-performance coils, while keeping dwell variation to less than one degree from 1,000 to 10,000 rpm. The dwell is set for maximum spark output at low or high engine speeds, and they're great for high-performance use from idle to 12,000 rpm. RACE ONLY

I have an orange box on my challenger and it does ok. I feel with the MP chrome box I would have a tad more power around 6k.

·
Premium Member
6,973 Posts
I just got a very cheapie ecu, as a spare back up kinda of thing, it is chrome looking, but not the same as a MP chrome box (It's just a cheap stock thing). You need to check to see what you really have. I'm also a little confussed - you said you got a chrome voltage reg., then started talking about the orange box ign., which is which, a chrome volt. reg. doesn't mean anything.

·
Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
ya i know the volt reg is just brand new.. chrome .. and shiny i got it with the orage box for 10$ . the ecu is the interest tho.. thx for the nfo on it.. its been running with it for a few days now and much better over all.. i had a proform light blue ecu that came with my new distrib.. always was a bit funky kinda sputtered and idled funny.

·
Premium Member
6,973 Posts
robo51 said:
ya i know the volt reg is just brand new.. chrome .. and shiny i got it with the orage box for 10$ . the ecu is the interest tho.. thx for the nfo on it.. its been running with it for a few days now and much better over all.. i had a proform light blue ecu that came with my new distrib.. always was a bit funky kinda sputtered and idled funny.
Ok - I don't know what the proform light blue ecu is, but you can't go wrong with the MP orange box, it's a good all around ecu, and all thats a very good score for 10 bucks {cool}

1 - 12 of 12 Posts