Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an 87 R/C, and am looking for a nasty-looking tire for mud and trails, but still be able to haul my little 14' aluminum boat and camping gear to the ocean and back with out funny handling or wearing out too quickly. I like the looks and the fact that they have little sipes on the lugs, plus the lugs don't look too far apart to be awful on the pavement. I think Swampers or Boggers are a little to overkill.

My trucks not a daily driver or anything, but will be used almost every weekend, and on real sh!tty winter days. The size I want are 35x12.50 on a 15 inch rim....Thanks for any thoughts, good or bad!!

·
5,657 Posts
In my opinion thorn birds suck in the mud, sand and ice. my brother had them on his ford. when driving in the winter the tires don't like ice at all, he slide of a side of mountain and was caught by a tree. When we put these tires on our jeep they just cake up, if you don't have alot of horse power to clean them out they suck in the mud. the big middle pads on the tread don't to amazing in the sand either. The big middle pad also make it hard to drive on ice. But if you want a cool looking tire to pund the pavement with then there you go. basically the thornbird is the interco verison of a all terrian. Just my opinion, im sure some people like them, but i would never buy them.

·
Registered
29,688 Posts
PM880 is right / get yer self a set of BFG Mud T/As and never look back / they work awesome and wear like Iron for do,in both trails and street

·
Premium Member
8,998 Posts
and from what I've heard on the highway, they are just as loud as tsl's too.

if you want an inexpensive tire that is a good all terrain version, look into the sport kings...made by bfg. off brand name, but a good tire none the less. I had a set, and they went places I'd have bet the paycheck they would not have gone thru.

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
i had a set of thornbirds on my dakota... 10 k they were bald, they howled like mad and they sucked on everything but DRY pavement.... dont bother... like projectm880 said BFG mud T\A is the way to go...

·
Super Moderator
8,449 Posts
SSR's are a better choice than Turdbirds. They're still a very heavy tire for road use, and can chunk easily on rocks, but they wear good, noise is moderate, do great offroad, and aren't too bad on slick roads.

·
Registered
2,861 Posts
That was a gooden :)

·
Registered
2,474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I figured the sipes would help them out a little on ice. I guess I don't want poser tires for the woods of Maine. Thanks a lot!!

Now that I think about it, one of my old bosses had BFG M/T's on his 1 ton diesel truck, and that was always loaded with construction stuff. And would go just about anywhere. Thanks for mentioning those rubbers!!

·
Registered
84 Posts
Another option that might be cheaper (and the same thing as a BF MT) is the 35-12.5-15 mud kings. They are identical to the older BFs, have a 40k mile rating, and around here Tire warehouse has them for $130 out the door.

·
Super Moderator
8,449 Posts
fasternu said:
I figured the sipes would help them out a little on ice. I guess I don't want poser tires for the woods of Maine. Thanks a lot!!
SSR's are siped in the center lugs. The lug spacing is also smaller than regular TSL's so they are slightly smoother and quieter on the street. The SSR's won't be as good in the mud as TSL's or Boggers, but they're better than BFG's.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts