Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
990 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
All of your mounts and u-joints on the rear axle need to be replaced if worn. I have found this out over the last couple of weeks after I converted my truck.

All the torque for the engine now goes through this drivelive most of the time now, and the dead transmission/transfer case mount and driveshaft center bearing (3-piece driveshaft) decided to make their presence known by flexing and rumbling every time you would accellerate from a stop. The crumbling tranny mount also makes the case selector handle inside the cab sway all over the place. Fortunately the parts are cheap, and I am replacing all of these this weekend.

Now I am contemplating returning back to full-time...

FYI... I have not seen as near a dramatic jump in fuel mileage as I thought either. I got a better jump going from a straight cooling fan (no clutch) to twin 12" electric fans. So far I am only seeing about a 1 MPG increase on the part-time conversion, whereas on the fan conversion I have gone from 6 to 10 MPG, with a 440 of course... ;D

Something to think about...

Mike

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
I have a 84 3/4 chevy that started as a 74 that has full time 4by. It was converted with the trans case kit and part time hubs, but no real difference in mileage here either. Just made the hubs stick out a bit farther (bad) and maybe saves some metal on metal wear in the front pumpkin area. I don't bother with the part time hubs now.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts