Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
588 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In the 1st quarter of 2017 I enrolled (again) in a "body shop" program at our local community. This time to replace some small areas of rusted sheet metal in my '88 RC. It was such a nice low mileage, original interior, not modified in any way  4wd RC. It was/is the Garnet red pearl coat, very $$$$, and the paint was fading so I decided to go  ahead and put a very good paint job on it. Then I decided that since I was going to do all of that. i wud go ahead and replace all of the seals, weather stripping and glass channel runs and anything else  that could be replaced, I replaced it, including the windshield. One of the instructors,who is a body shop manager in his day job, advised me not to mess with the vent window rubber seals because they looked good and they were a real booger to install. Me, knowing better, decided that I wanted the perfect, all new looking 1988 RamCharger. Two experienced paint and body shop men worked very hard at installing the vent window gaskets and guess what! I shudda listened. I have air leaks, bad air leaks. It may be the product. I ordered them from a very reputable manufacturer who had a video on youtube as to how to install them. Since I got mine they no longer offer the items for sale and the "how to" has been removed from youtube. I think Steele makes the seals so I may try another set. The RC looks super. Of course I removed all of the trim and am in the process of buffing it and re-installing the polished pieces. Wish I knew how to post a pix of it on the site.

·
Super Moderator
29,798 Posts
The problem may be the seals themselves as they changed in '87 and the older seals do not fit the newer vent windows.  To my knowledge, no one makes the newer style vent window seals.

·
Super Moderator
14,330 Posts
A friend of mine who ran a body shop told me the same thing when he was helping me with my truck - don't mess with the vent windows. he also said, although unrelated to the truck, don't mess with sunroof seals either.

·
Registered
588 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks to both of you for that info. I kept the originals The p/s was good but the d/s was a little noisy and I'd put a piece of a plastic shopping bag at the ends and close the window on it. Thanks again!

·
Super Moderator
29,798 Posts
Something I had thought about doing with my old ones was to take SaranWrap or one of the plastic bags could probably work too and wrap the window in it as a sort of "mold release" and then use some black silicone or something similar to sort of take up the space from the gasket shrinking.  It wouldn't help much if the gasket has pulled away from the door itself, and the rubber would need to be cleaned very good for anything to stick, but it might be a band-aid to help.  I'm not too worried about wind noise since the antenna and mirrors howl like a banshee anyway, but if mine ever get to leaking in the rain like one of my '74s did, I will have to take steps.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.