Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my wife is pregnant with our 6th. We are out of room in the family vehicle. My wife hates my truck and suggested I get something that can haul people too. There is a 1998.5 24v cummins (2wd) quad cab that would fit the bill...

I have a rare truck being a 90 W350 cab and chassis dually with a 360 and 4 speed. I haven't ever seen anything else like it so I have no clue what kind of price I could fetch for it. Anyone here have a market value for a gasser 1st gen cab and chassis?

The only thing similar around here is a ratted out 89 W250 with a cummins in it for 13k:

And I think my truck is much nicer than that!

·
Super Moderator
13,828 Posts
...I dunno man...but I wouldn't want to be one of the ones crammed in the back of a 98 quad cab - I'm thinkin' yer in need of a Suburban...but there's also no denying how well the 2012-ish Grand Caravans and Town and Country vans haul people, and who doesn't love helicopter doors...and still a Mopar. We just got a 2012 T&C for easier hauling of the kiddo's to school, and we have a 2013 Yukon 2500 for hauling everyone plus the trailer...

- Sam

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
...I dunno man...but I wouldn't want to be one of the ones crammed in the back of a 98 quad cab - I'm thinkin' yer in need of a Suburban...but there's also no denying how well the 2012-ish Grand Caravans and Town and Country vans haul people, and who doesn't love helicopter doors...and still a Mopar. We just got a 2012 T&C for easier hauling of the kiddo's to school, and we have a 2013 Yukon 2500 for hauling everyone plus the trailer...

- Sam
We had a 06 Chrysler T&C and sold it for a 2017 Ford Explorer Sport. If I were to get another SUV it'd be a Excursion or Expedition EL.

I want a truck so I can haul motorcycles or dirt in the back. I'm going to go look at the 98 tomorrow, I want to check knee room in the rear to see if my 7 and 8 year old would have enough room.

·
Premium Member
4,955 Posts
I'd be more tempted to look at a 3rd gen mega cab. Tons of cab room for the kids, gas or diesel options, and still able to drive a dodge. I've had a couple 2nd gens with my 3 kids and they are good trucks but not very spacious if hauling people much.
Eric

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
We had a 06 Chrysler T&C and sold it for a 2017 Ford Explorer Sport. If I were to get another SUV it'd be a Excursion or Expedition EL.

I want a truck so I can haul motorcycles or dirt in the back. I'm going to go look at the 98 tomorrow, I want to check knee room in the rear to see if my 7 and 8 year old would have enough room.
I had 2014 T&C and we all loved it. Going from '06 to '14 makes a big difference. Quality, room, functionality and comfort is great. Now I have the new Pacifica but my wife still says the old T&C was much better.
We're a family of 6 BTW.

I know it's not exactly what you need but sometimes having two cars for different purpose is a better way.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'd be more tempted to look at a 3rd gen mega cab. Tons of cab room for the kids, gas or diesel options, and still able to drive a dodge. I've had a couple 2nd gens with my 3 kids and they are good trucks but not very spacious if hauling people much.
Eric
I can't stand the 3rd gen body style. Things don't start getting interesting until 09 again.

I had 2014 T&C and we all loved it. Going from '06 to '14 makes a big difference. Quality, room, functionality and comfort is great. Now I have the new Pacifica but my wife still says the old T&C was much better.
We're a family of 6 BTW.

I know it's not exactly what you need but sometimes having two cars for different purpose is a better way.
We do have two cars, the Explorer and my truck. The Explorer is full to capacity and if we wanted to take the whole family somewhere we need another car for over flow. My regular cab truck can hold +1, but + a few more would be mo'betta. We are a family of 8.

So anyone have an idea what a 1st gen C&C is going for nowadays?

·
Registered
2,337 Posts
You are well beyond "what you want" and far into what you need. You need to think safety (each kid in a belt) and convenience (not having to take two cars). So you are in minivan territory. With the current gas prices I would say the suburban or excursion will break the bank.

I had 4 kids. Once you have more than 3 kids a normal car is out of the question. I could get four in an F150/350 with two bench seats. We had an Astro van prior to the F150 until I found out those were a death trap with a 1 star crash rating.

Good luck on your search!

Reactions: jcm3

·
Super Moderator
14,211 Posts
with 8 occupants, I'd say nothing "mini". Full size van...

Reactions: neil4224 and jcm3

·
'79 Macho 360 Magnum, Comp 480 cam, Hughes springs, 650 Thunder AVS, Pertronix Flamethrower ignition
6,307 Posts
Get a Ramcharger 👍

·
Registered
681 Posts
Interesting thread here. Well just depends on your situation specifically. A truck just isn't going to cut it to haul more than 5 total no matter what you would buy even today. But I would say get the biggest four door cab you could get so you could in theory haul the most kids and equipment possible. The kids only get bigger and so does the stuff that goes with it (whether it be cheerleading or baseball). 3rd gen mega sounds about right for your situation. If you are not strapped for cash I would keep the truck and get a van for your daily dad duties. Truck to take 2 others with you for help with house/equipment/dirt runs. You are not going to find anything close to capable for the price as to what you have now. Plus ease of maintenance is a thing too on your old 360.

If its just for the family though van is about your only option unless you go searching for a suburban or expedition in the XL formats. Be ready to pay for reliability and newness in this market.

Your current truck is probably in the 10k range to sell quick. Maybe a bit more up to 12k if you hold back. Possibly more than that if you find the right buyer, but for the same reason your selling it is what will hold it back. Pictures would help too for reference. Everybody wants the 4 doors and selling prices reflects that. People post all day saying they want 15k for something, but do they actually sell it? You will get more low ballers than anything.

Neil

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Your current truck is probably in the 10k range to sell quick. Maybe a bit more up to 12k if you hold back. Possibly more than that if you find the right buyer, but for the same reason your selling it is what will hold it back. Pictures would help too for reference. Everybody wants the 4 doors and selling prices reflects that. People post all day saying they want 15k for something, but do they actually sell it? You will get more low ballers than anything.

Neil
Thanks Neil. I figured 10k - 12k was fair market. It's a hell of a truck being a first gen dually 4x4 with a 4 speed. I may end up keeping it and just buy a cheap car or van... Best of both worlds I guess.

·
Premium Member
4,955 Posts
1st gen crew starts at 12k for something that drives but probably needs work. Uphill from there. I understand your feeling on 3rd gen body style, it wasn't my favorite either but I had one and it grew on me. I also had a 4th gen mega and loved both. What's your budget? I suggested a 3rd gen because they can be had for a much more reasonable price usually, but hey if money isn't an issue, grab a 4th gen. Mega with bench front seats 6, hauls a lot of stuff, and if it's about looks then it beats a mini van, any ford, or any other suggestion so far other than a 1st gen crew.
Eric

·
Premium Member
4,955 Posts
I'd definitely consider keeping your rig and buying a cheap version of what would haul what you need . Heck, you can fit a bunch of cargo in a mini van with the seats folded down! Lol

·
'79 Macho 360 Magnum, Comp 480 cam, Hughes springs, 650 Thunder AVS, Pertronix Flamethrower ignition
6,307 Posts
Nah, i don't need one Karen, but thanks. I was joking. I was going to make a good suggestion but i might trigger another stupid remark like that and then i'd have to become the big bad po po on you. Try responding like an adult.

·
Registered
696 Posts
I remember something @SuperBurban said about getting rebates or something on a hybrid Pacifica. It sounded like a great deal. Nothing worse than riding in something that isn’t big enough for everyone! I had two brothers + my parents. Couldn’t stand when our knees were rubbing lol.

·
Registered
31,035 Posts
my buddy has a Chrysler 2015 [whatever type mini van ] that suppose to hold 7 people - 2 adults + 5 children / but it holds 5 full size guys [ 200 plus Lbs er's in comfy with coolers ]

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Tomorrow i'm going to look at the 98 and i'll make a decision if i'm going to sell mine or not. If it doesn't work out then i'll look for a minivan troop hauler or maybe a charger or something.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts