Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
758 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry I took a couple year hiatus - what happened to all  the pics in the old threads?  Are they lost in cyberspace forever?  I know they were around shortly after Sam bowed out - did the new owners nuke it from orbit?

·
Registered
758 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
OK, read some posts in this section and I'm still a little confused...is ALL the content gone?  Sam said he could FTP but VS said no?  Sorry if I'm beating a dead horse.

·
Super Moderator
14,325 Posts
The images are mostly there, but the thumbnails are just about all gone. Also, the software won't accept new uploads. As the software was migrated over to the new owners, they did not care to spend time ($) to fix the compatibility between the old and new system. it's a lost cause. Sam got out at just the right time just before site traffic started going down.

·
Administrator
62,277 Posts
You are probably looking at two different issues. The pics in the threads are likely due to Photobucket (Thanks E), or what ever that photo hosting company is, changing things, and wanting people to pay them to host their photos, and allow them to be linked from sites like this. That is a internet wide issue, and has nothing to do with the new owners.

The photos in the photogallery, are due to the software not being upgraded. As you saw, Sam offered to fix it, and there has been no response as far as I know. It looks like the new owners are just going to let this site fade away as the software becomes incompatible with newer internet features.

·
Super Moderator
29,795 Posts
I was typing this while Superburban was posting but I am far too lazy to change it now.  ;D

In addition, some threads are missing pics due to Photobucket losing their minds and deciding to charge $400 a year for hosting pics that they used to do for free.  They eventually reversed this decision, but not before many people, myself included, removed all images from Photobucket and moved them to a new host.  Unfortunately this move also breaks all the old links posted to the forum using Photobucket as the host, but they were basically holding them for ransom and wouldn't display them on any 3rd party site anyway.

·
Registered
758 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah, I knew about the photobucket issue, I think it happened when I was still on here.  Most of those show a photobucket photo of a kitten with "photo unavailable".  I was trying to go through aspoonhour/Andy's RC Cummins swap and all the pics were gone, though.  I didn't know the new owner didn't migrate it.  I know Sam had the content backed up (at least I deduce that from his offer)...what is the possibility of creating a NEW site and moving ALL content over?  i.e., ramchargercentral2.com, rccentral.com, fenriristhebest.com or something like that?  :) I know it's a lot of work and would cost money but many of you have YEARS of knowledge poured into this site and it seems a waste that a good portion of it is "lost". 

·
Super Moderator
29,795 Posts
When RCC was sold there were a couple attempts at making a new site, but at the end of the day, RCC is where everyone goes and where all the knowledge is.  Creating a site from scratch is easy as there are many "free" forum sites out there as well as private hosting and purchased software, but you can't buy RCC's history and it's place with all the search engines, not to mention the name itself.  Well, I say you can't buy it, but obviously Vertical Scope bought it, and basically it would have to be purchased from VS to buy it again.  Keep in mind that RCC is owned and simply copying it to another site would basically be theft.  I am not read up on how the law looks at the "ownership" of individual posts and I think the agreements with the forum owners and members tend to vary in how all that is handled but I would think that it might be something that would need to be thought out with moving a bunch of pics or intellectual property to a third party since the people who originally created that content may or may not agree with the new site or use of their property.  In other words, creating a new site is easy, but getting the reputation, members and content moved over would be a nightmare on many levels.

·
Administrator
62,277 Posts
I do not think you will ever get the drive and spirit back that RCC once had. RCC was built off the time, donations, and dues from its members. Many feel it was wrong for Sam to sell RCC, and will never put the effort in that they did here. You also have the vehicles getting older, and laws making it harder to keep older trucks, and newer trucks getting cheaper to buy, and maintain (I know, debatable).

My opinion, the only way to ever get the heart and effort that RCC once had, is to set it up like A hobby machinist board I belong to. The founder set it up from the beginning as a not for profit corporation, and it is managed by a board of directors. In fact, due to health reasons, the founder is no longer around much, but what he started will live for a long time. But hobby machinists will be around for a long time, Ramchargers, and 70's and 80's Dodge trucks? not so likely.

·
Registered
758 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Any idea how much VS bought it for?  I mean, like a ballpark?  If I was asked to donate money to bring this back to it's former glory (I was a yearly member, not a permanent member) I would do it.  Is it worth pursuing VS for a "buyback"? 

I'm not trying to beat a dead horse, and I agree, this will never have the draw that it once had, but I'm thinking more about the post history being preserved (and augmented) than anything. 

·
Super Moderator
29,795 Posts
I don't think anyone but VS and Sam, the former owner, know how much was paid.  I imagine there was some sort of NDA, as there usually is with these sort of deals.  As for buying it back, I would guess it would take a lot more than it is worth to get it away from VS.

·
Registered
758 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Do any of the Mods have contacts over there? I can at least get the ball rolling to see if there's a possibility...

·
Super Moderator
29,795 Posts
Vertical Scope is a corporation that buys websites to collect revenue from the ads they place on the site. The only people we are in contact with are the support staff, which don't really have anything to do with the other facets of the business. It's entirely possible the people we "know" at VS are actually a 3rd party company contracted to do the support work.

You are welcome to see what they say, but I wouldn't get my hopes up on it being possible or reasonable.

https://www.verticalscope.com/

·
Registered
758 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks, Lanty!  I'll post if I get anywhere...

·
Super Moderator
29,795 Posts
Do your research.  If you haven't ever run a website before, there is a lot of hidden costs and other hassles to deal with and they aren't cheap to keep running on a server 24/7.

And if it does work out for you, I'd like to talk about a raise for all the moderating staff.  ;D

·
Administrator
62,277 Posts
I think one could infer a close estimate from this old Post of Sams. Back when he said he would never sell.

Sam Simpson said:
If that was the offer I wouldn't be the owner anymore :)

I had 70K and 80K offers. The 70K one said they would match the 80K if I got the other offer in writing. Both would of liked me to still run the site, basically not change anything about the site. I had talked with someone who is basically a website flipper and he speculated our site was worth around $150K.

Originally the first company said the offer would be in the six figures. Even my wife was unsure, she said "I don't know, RCC is your baby". They later retracted that saying they miss calculated.

I said not interested to both. Didn't try to wheel and deal, just said not interested. Getting alot of cash like that would be cool, but I would be unhappy in the long run.

·
Administrator
62,277 Posts
I do not think there is much here worth buying. If you could come up with someone decent at site building, and start over. There is still a handful of the members that have done most of making RCC what it is. But I think you would have to go after a bigger market group, then ramchargers, and 1st gen Dodge trucks.

Then you would need to know how you are going to pay the bills. Google adds may not look at you until you are around for awhile.

·
Registered
758 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Hehe, let's be clear - I'm not planning on BUYING the site.  And that's not a Sam "I'm not selling" promise.  (sorry Sam, but if the shoe fits)  I do like the idea of a 501c3 ownership type of thing like someone mentioned in a post about another site.

I would like to see if
1.  VS is even interested in selling
2.  At what price (ballpark) - keep in mind, the volume is WAY down on the site, and FB continues to overtake forum traffic.  $100k is not really on the table, at least on the surface, for a forum like this.
3.  If so, could we gofundme it somehow, or some such thing
4.  Could we double the pay of the moderators...2 x 0 = 0, right?  Maybe we can do the old Cheers thing and give you titles...you are now "Senior Bartender", if you know what I mean. 

·
Administrator
62,277 Posts
You have to look at the whole thread. Besides the promise not to sell, it is Sam pushing to get more paid members. Looking back, one could take that as a way to get the numbers of paid members to unpaid members to a better ratio, to bring up the numbers.

You can click on the blue header to get to the thread.

Sam Simpson said:
We use to have quite a few Supporters, the numbers have dwindled a lot over the years. Each year there are less than the previous.

It never really concerned me before since the google ads pay the bill, before we relied soley on paid memberships and donations to keep the site running.

I recently had several offers from a couple of different companies that wanted to buy RCC (don't worry, not selling). They noticed the low paid memberships and asked if we don't have good tech and help on the site.

The reason they asked that is on other forums they own, paid memberships are in relation to the quality of help the auto forums provide. The forums they have with high tech/help have high numbers of paid members while the ones that don't have much have low paid memberships. Basically hinting high paid members = strong community.

I know we have great tech/help for old Dodge trucks and have always thought we had a strong community. People willing to help each other out is stronger here than I see at other forums. But it got me thinking, we use to have a lot, now we don't, I know economy has something to do with it so maybe it is the price?

So this is why I made this post, just curious why you aren't a supporter. Is it the money (would you if it was cheaper), not enough perks or special privileges, not enough discounts, don't like the site, dont' like members, don't like how we run it, etc.
Sam Simpson said:
They weren't specific, but they only had traffic data from the last 6 months, so overall membership had nothing to do with it. I guess it is unique users for a month vs paid membership, which comes out to something like 1 paid member for every 7,000 users.

They didn't give me any of their numbers, or even general numbers in specific. I have no idea what sites they were thinking about. We have pretty good traffic here, just under 50,000 unique users per month.

·
Super Moderator
29,795 Posts
1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.