Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been a member here for many years picked up a new project Wednesday. 1993 ram 150 short bed 2 wheel drive. 3.9 v6 auto trans 74k original miles. The previous owner removed the doors fenders hood and bed and did a complete color change to black had all the trim and emblems removed and the holes welded up. He had a financial emergency and needed cash. I want to remove the 3.9 and install a 383 big block. Every engine swap kit I find specifically says will not work with factory 3.9. Anyone know why? And where I might be able to find some mounts?
Thanks,
Rob

·
Registered
8,322 Posts
I don't know anything about the 3.9. I do know about Big Block Mopars.
For one thing the 383 will not bolt up the the transmission.
Big Blocks need the bigger case for them to work.
And why a 383? A 440 takes just as much money to build as 383. AND you get a big bonus of way more torque.
As far as mounts, try these guys... https://www.engine-swaps.com/Pages/ProductsType/EngConvKits.html

Oh no! It looks like he discontinued the truck mounts. ???

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply, I have always liked the 383 revs like a small block with extra torque. Seems everyone who makes the mounts have discontinued them for one reason or another. I wish I had the skills to make some.

·
Super Moderator
29,795 Posts
I don't know why it wouldn't swap.  The engine crossmember is the same.  I do remember something about some 6 cylinder frames having an extra bracket or something but I can't find anything different in the parts manuals now.  Might want to Google around a bit, but the crossmember itself is the same, so even if there were a bracket or something welded on, it could be removed and you should be ok.

I also prefer a 383 to other big blocks.  I've seen a couple 383s eat up a 440 on the top end.

·
Registered
13,500 Posts
I agree 440 V/S 383 , and it'd have to be a pre 70's style 383 but ... the v6 is what I'd keep , especially in a full size short box , OR just swap in a 360 efi with its pcm , your almost all wired for one and the DO make rpm/power . 

·
Registered
8,322 Posts
Elwenil said:
I don't know why it wouldn't swap. The engine crossmember is the same. I do remember something about some 6 cylinder frames having an extra bracket or something but I can't find anything different in the parts manuals now. Might want to Google around a bit, but the crossmember itself is the same, so even if there were a bracket or something welded on, it could be removed and you should be ok.

I also prefer a 383 to other big blocks. I've seen a couple 383s eat up a 440 on the top end.
So the 6 cylinder trans will bolt up to the Big Block?
I've seen some fast Briggs and Stratons. How much money do you need to dump into a 383 to beat a stock 440?
Besides... where are the 383 powered trucks around these days?
I dumped some money into my 440 and I doubt there's a 383 that can touch it.

When your pushing weight around... there's nothing like the long arm of torque to offset it.

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I was planning to swap the correct 727 trans in sorry I should have added that. I just like the 383 I rode in a road runner with a 383 as a young fella and just fell in love with that engine. I'm almost 60 now so my racing days are over just tinkering with the truck to keep me out of the bars

·
Super Moderator
29,795 Posts
Yeah, the V6 trans is the small block pattern, so that obviously wouldn't work. But there was something about the mounts, I just don't remember the details anymore.

Also, torque gets you moving but horsepower at RPM gets you moving FAST. {cool}

At the end of the day, it's all power to weight, but a 383 is cheaper to obtain and easier to swap due to the lower deck and less width. Makes headers a lot easier to swap, though you will still need the high mount for the power steering pump and a small diameter brake booster or swap to manual, hydroboost, etc. The "correct" 727 was never made, so that means you will have to make one. You will need a '80s small block 4WD 727 and a big block 727 and basically swap the tailshaft and tail housing from the small block 727 to the big block 727. If you want overdrive, you will have to pick up a small block A518/46RH and then use an expensive adaptor to mate the transmission to the big block. If the 383 you have is a forged crank, you will just need a typical neutral balance torque converter like all LA series 318s used. 360s are externally balanced and will need to have the extra weights removed from the converter to use one of those. Plan on a larger radiator. Not sure what the V6 had but most 318 trucks used a wide, but only 2 core, radiator and it might not cool a big block very well. Even the A/C trucks or heavy duty cooling optioned trucks with the 3 core sometimes have issues, depending on how you use it. Just be prepared to do a little work with the fan, shroud and radiator if it becomes an issue. If you want to run a small block style radiator, you will need the mid to late '70s big block water pump housing with the inlet on the small block side.

I swapped a 383 into my old '74 W100 and it was a decent swap. Not really worth the money in the end, but a lot of fun to play with while the truck was around. It pulled really well with the 4 speed and was built with low compression so it damn near ran on lamp oil and whatever swamp water gasoline I found at random country gas stations.

·
Registered
8,322 Posts
Moparbob1987 said:
I was planning to swap the correct 727 trans in sorry I should have added that. I just like the 383 I rode in a road runner with a 383 as a young fella and just fell in love with that engine. I'm almost 60 now so my racing days are over just tinkering with the truck to keep me out of the bars
Cool. You knew about the trans!
It should bolt right in with the cross member.
Motor mounts will be more difficult
Start searching for best results. ;D

·
Registered
8,322 Posts
Elwenil said:
Yeah, the V6 trans is the small block pattern, so that obviously wouldn't work. But there was something about the mounts, I just don't remember the details anymore.

Also, torque gets you moving but horsepower at RPM gets you moving FAST. {cool}

At the end of the day, it's all power to weight, but a 383 is cheaper to obtain and easier to swap due to the lower deck and less width. Makes headers a lot easier to swap, though you will still need the high mount for the power steering pump and a small diameter brake booster or swap to manual, hydroboost, etc. The "correct" 727 was never made, so that means you will have to make one. You will need a '80s small block 4WD 727 and a big block 727 and basically swap the tailshaft and tail housing from the small block 727 to the big block 727. If you want overdrive, you will have to pick up a small block A518/46RH and then use an expensive adaptor to mate the transmission to the big block. If the 383 you have is a forged crank, you will just need a typical neutral balance torque converter like all LA series 318s used. 360s are externally balanced and will need to have the extra weights removed from the converter to use one of those. Plan on a larger radiator. Not sure what the V6 had but most 318 trucks used a wide, but only 2 core, radiator and it might not cool a big block very well. Even the A/C trucks or heavy duty cooling optioned trucks with the 3 core sometimes have issues, depending on how you use it. Just be prepared to do a little work with the fan, shroud and radiator if it becomes an issue. If you want to run a small block style radiator, you will need the mid to late '70s big block water pump housing with the inlet on the small block side.

I swapped a 383 into my old '74 W100 and it was a decent swap. Not really worth the money in the end, but a lot of fun to play with while the truck was around. It pulled really well with the 4 speed and was built with low compression so it damn near ran on lamp oil and whatever swamp water gasoline I found at random country gas stations.
With the right tune I have on my Six Pack now... heck even before... it's unbelievable how quick the stroker in my truck revs. I've had numerous Mopar people tell me that stokers don't rev well. After I give them a ride they had to admit it does ramp up very quickly. Of course, I'm not running the dated heavy Six Pack rods with the stock heavy pistons. But why should anybody these days. There's just way too much better tech out there nowadays.

·
Super Moderator
29,795 Posts
Yup, turbos, EFI, transmissions approaching double digits of gears.  The old muscle cars seem painfully slow compared to some of the new ones.  My SRT-4 would have given any of my old cars a heck of a fight except for the Duster we raced.  I would like to build a balanced, twin turbo, EFI 383.  I think that would be a monster with the right heads.  Might even give the LS motors something to think about.

·
Registered
8,322 Posts
Elwenil said:
Yup, turbos, EFI, transmissions approaching double digits of gears. The old muscle cars seem painfully slow compared to some of the new ones. My SRT-4 would have given any of my old cars a heck of a fight except for the Duster we raced. I would like to build a balanced, twin turbo, EFI 383. I think that would be a monster with the right heads. Might even give the LS motors something to think about.
Anything to chews on a Chevy I'm happy with.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.