Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels and Mopar banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay well i have a 85 dodge ram.. and i went over a curb by accident and now its making a annoying squeeking sound everytime i hit a bump.. a wierd squeeking sound i am not used to !.. but its pissing me off..

did i fawk something up??


ps.. its coming from the rear

 

·
Registered
Joined
·
12,500 Posts
Well squeaks come form anything rubber rotted usually will squeak . So it could be a body bushings or the leaf springs bushings or shock mount bushings . Or possibly your tailgate as well .

bt83rc
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
818 Posts
It's an old truck, it's going to squeek from time to time. Hell I start to worry when my 85 RC doesn't Squeek, Rattle or Leak some sort "vitial fluid". LOL ;)

Jim
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
jdodgeram said:
It's an old truck, it's going to squeek from time to time. Hell I start to worry when my 85 RC doesn't Squeek, Rattle or Leak some sort "vitial fluid". LOL ;)

Jim
WELL I AM JUST worried .. cuz i have never owned anything this old !!!.(except for my 1st car.. a 1977 caddy coupe deville)

and man its gets annoying to hear a bunch of rattleing and shaking.. all the time.. is there stuff i should go under there and make sure there tight and in place!?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
12,500 Posts
Well this would be a good cure for it . replace all your body bushings with Urethane form Prothane or Energy Suspension . Also replace the old shocks with new 1's or just bushings if they are relatively new . But the 1 I think is making the noise is your leaf spring bushings . No the kit doesn't come with these but Sam has some for the rear shackle which is what holds the spring in place .

bt83rc
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
818 Posts
bt83rc said:
Well this would be a good cure for it . replace all your body bushings with Urethane form Prothane or Energy Suspension . Also replace the old shocks with new 1's or just bushings if they are relatively new . But the 1 I think is making the noise is your leaf spring bushings . No the kit doesn't come with these but Sam has some for the rear shackle which is what holds the spring in place .

bt83rc
I agree with bt. But remember if you start replacing the body bushings DON"T snap off any of the bolts! The nuts are welded to the floor of the truck snap one off and out comes the grinder and welder. ;)

Jim
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,717 Posts
I think your first suggestion is the best thing to do to start off with. Crawl under your truck and check for any signs of obviously broken or worn out parts.... Good luck! {cool}
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
29 Posts
RamU said:
jdodgeram said:
It's an old truck, it's going to squeek from time to time. Hell I start to worry when my 85 RC doesn't Squeek, Rattle or Leak some sort "vitial fluid". LOL ;)

Jim
WELL I AM JUST worried .. cuz i have never owned anything this old !!!.(except for my 1st car.. a 1977 caddy coupe deville)

and man its gets annoying to hear a bunch of rattleing and shaking.. all the time.. is there stuff i should go under there and make sure there tight and in place!?
85...and it's OLD.....hehehehehe...I own an 89 d100....and I would much rather a 76 "RC" any day cause I consider the 89 too modern.....

I HATE with a passion new vehicles....If I need an electrical engineer, or computer programer....then I say tuff @#$%.....

If I can't work on it myself...totally strip it to it's frame...then it is of no value to me.....man an 85 is old...that puts a smile on my face....and I'm only 27....I can't wait till I'm 50....sitting pretty surrounded by my classic mopars....
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
9,459 Posts
For starters, get a spray can of silicon lube, and douse everything that moves... That'll probably quiet some of your squeaks. Then start buying the pieces to replace all the bushings...
 
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Top