Dodge RamCharger Central banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Its a 77 RC with a 318 and 727 automatic. We started by checking the battery and charging it. Still just a few clicks when we turned the key. One day we needed to move it out of the way and it just started for me no problem. Once I turned it off it went back to not turning over. The previous owner had just put a mini started and solenoid in it months before I got it.
I figured the ignition tumbler must be bad and we put it in this morning and nothing. What should I try next? I am just trying not to have to tow it to my mechanic.
Thanks PG

·
Registered
232 Posts
Still clicking or doing nothing at all?

Could be loose connections at the starter relay - that's happened to me before. Forgot to tighten the nut that connects power and the cable to the starter together. It would sporadically just not work, but normally would.

Also could be the neutral safety switch. My truck (with a Lokar shifter) REALLY needs to be in Park for the switch to be in the right position and allow the starter relay to ground.

·
Super Moderator
29,795 Posts
Cross the terminals on the starter relay.  If it cranks then, you can pretty much rule out the starter, engine being locked, battery, etc.  That means it's in the ignition switch or wiring between the battery and switch or switch and relay.

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Duval67 said:
Still clicking or doing nothing at all?

Could be loose connections at the starter relay - that's happened to me before. Forgot to tighten the nut that connects power and the cable to the starter together. It would sporadically just not work, but normally would.

Also could be the neutral safety switch. My truck (with a Lokar shifter) REALLY needs to be in Park for the switch to be in the right position and allow the starter relay to ground.
No clicks nothing now but before it would click sometimes and others it wouldnt. PG

·
Registered
13,500 Posts
well thinkabout it , if its clicking or was , then the tumbler is doing its thing , the click you hear is comming from the starter relay . your battery is dead , connections bad , starter jambed , engine locked .... jump the starter relay like suggested , when you have the battery charged . I Can Not tell you how many times I watched folks with "good" jumper cables fool themselves , most you can buy at a auto "store" are junk . heavy plastic coating on thin wires . AND how many folks think their battery connections are good , tight, and clean , when they really aren't . jump as suggested and re-check things ... ;)

·
Super Moderator
14,324 Posts
^ x2

You may have charged the battery but it may still be weak/old/damaged. Put jumper cables from a running vehicle on it and try. That will eliminate a bad battery as the problem.

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Elwenil said:
Cross the terminals on the starter relay. If it cranks then, you can pretty much rule out the starter, engine being locked, battery, etc. That means it's in the ignition switch or wiring between the battery and switch or switch and relay.
OK crossed the terminals and nothing still. SHit

·
Super Moderator
14,324 Posts
PGG said:
OK crossed the terminals and nothing still. SHit
bad battery/connection or bad starter is the region you're into now. You've eliminated all the switches by doing this.

·
Registered
13,500 Posts
BIG sparks when you jumped the starter relay terminals or little / no sparks ?  big sparks bad starter .. or locked motor ( try turning with channel locks on fan pulley or simmiler way turn by hand key OFF!!! )  little / no sparks? , no battery power , bad connections/bad battery ....

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ok replaced the battery and Orielys  said it had a bad cell it was new from them 2-18 so new one for free.
However it still isnt turning over it just clicks. It was said to have a new mini starter less then a year old?
I am getting close to just getting a tow truck anything else I could try first?
Thanks PG

·
Super Moderator
29,795 Posts
Smack the starter with a hammer.  Not kidding, if it gets jammed it can shake it loose.  Otherwise I would pull the starter and test it off the truck, a set of jumper cables works great for this.  Be aware, the starter will want to jump around if it works so keep a foot on it when testing off the truck.

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Elwenil said:
Smack the starter with a hammer.
Sometimes doing this while someone is cycling the ignition switch to start will get the contacts working again if it is being stubborn. I have had several of those mini starters act up like you are describing and even after a rebuild would not last long... others I have had in service for years without a single problem. They are cheap enough though. If you are planning to replace it I would get a NEW starter from your local auto parts which will have a lifetime warranty.

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
If we go that round and I buy a new starter is there a best one or two options? PG

·
Registered
13,500 Posts
the minis are fine , there is a copper jumper from the solinoid ON the starter to the starter's motor connection , they sometimes get loose .....  ON THE starter , parts OF the starter a heavy copper connector between 2 posts ON the starter its self

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
dodge82273 said:
the minis are fine , there is a copper jumper from the solinoid ON the starter to the starter's motor connection , they sometimes get loose ..... ON THE starter , parts OF the starter a heavy copper connector between 2 posts ON the starter its self
OK thanks will check that

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
dodge82273 said:
the minis are fine , there is a copper jumper from the solinoid ON the starter to the starter's motor connection , they sometimes get loose ..... ON THE starter , parts OF the starter a heavy copper connector between 2 posts ON the starter its self
That was it thank you very much its running again!

·
Registered
13,500 Posts
good deal , I would NOT have known about that except for having bought a re-built mini and checked those nuts BEFORE I crammed it into a 4x4 Dakota , and , found them not so snug , some little heat cycles and that would of had me annoyed ....

1 - 17 of 17 Posts