Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok i got the timing fixed, and took the rear drive shaft out. for some odd reason the shaft was hitting the u joint brackets, where the ujoint meets the t case. ok so i am driving and the truck jerks and makes a loud clunking noise, consistent with acceleration, it does this wether turning or not forwards and in reverse, however it is worse when turning and accelerating at the same time, i am tired of shot gunning this due to the expense, i have checked the following, all ujoints appear to be good and in working order, all steering components look good and are solid, have new wheel bearings, on both sides, driveshaft is at proper lenght, and balanced,(front shaft), everything that has a grease fitting has been greased including the hub assybly, breaks all seem to be in order and are all new, so if anyone has any suggestions please through them at me, ohh yes i am going to take my diff cover off and look at the insides what should i look for and how much play should i have in the gears and such?

·
Premium Member
9,424 Posts
Wait... did you "index" the Ujoints when you slipped the newly balanced shaft back together ?

Are the crosses exactly parallel in plane and rotation position ?

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yes they are. i found my main clunk sound it was in the front diff and about the size of a peanut metal laying in the housing, so found that but my rear shaft is still hitting the clamps, so what gives

·
Premium Member
9,424 Posts
I'm having difficulty "seeing" the "rear shaft hitting the clamps"... Do you mean, as in a sharp angle at the joint (like results from "too much" lift) ? Or can you post a picture ?

·
Premium Member
26,070 Posts
Did the pic not come out or what?

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
sorry guys the camera is acting up i am going to try and post it now but i don't know how to do it

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
i don't think it worked so if someone could walk me through it i have my pics located in imagestation.com so i am a little computer dummie

·
Premium Member
4,868 Posts
no worries... you need to get the URL of that particular picture, and put it between the two image tags

it should look something like this:

Code:
[IMG]http://www.imagestation.com/someothercrap/imagename.jpg[/IMG]
to get that, go look at your picture on imagestation, it might give you a URL to link to that picture with, or it may not. if not, right click on the picture, and click "properties." on the window that pops up, somewhere it will say address. copy and paste that address in between the image tags.

Don't get frustrated, it took me a long time to figure out how to do this. we'll talk you through it

Jake

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

this is the pic of my ujoint straps focus on the center of the straps, you can see the indentation, i know not too good of pics but cheap camera=cheap pics.

this is of my truck so you can get idea of lift.

edit: fixed your pic links

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
/imhttp://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid100/p0d59c85e5baf09a499485dd0c5ea3801/f9e670ba.jpgg]
this is of the truck to show what kind of lift i have, hope it helps.
[imghttp://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid100/p12b5412365902592c3d82f91bcbb26e0/f9e670b2.jpg]
this is of my ujoint straps, look at the center of the straps and you should see the indention where what ever is hitting it.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
ddg i am just going to email it to you i suck at this kind of crap

·
Premium Member
26,070 Posts
The only thing that can hit those straps is the drive shaft, if you want to see for your self go and jack the truck up by the rears and put the rears on jack stands so the tire is off the floor and then while laying under the truck and looking at the yokes where the u-joints are bolted spin the shaft and you will see wtf is going on under there, unfortunately by looking at the pic of your truck i can't see the angle being near enough to do that, but the truck is in your possesion and not mine so i can't see what has been rigged or is wrong

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
bearings good would lowering the tcase fix this, i just don't see the angle being this big an isssue but can't find anything elses unless tcase is twisting

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.