Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I have a couple of questions. On the back top of my 360 block I have, I believe the oil sending unit with a wire connected to it that goes to the oil pressure guage on the dash & there is another little thing with a 2 wire connector to that. Just wondering what the other thing is or does? I have also installed a mechanical oil pressure guage to this same location with a T fitting. This guage reads 80 to 60 lbs. of pressure depending on if the motor is warmed up or not. Once the oil temp warms up the mechanical guage stays right at around 60 lbs., but as I increase my rpms to go faster the factory guage drops down to almost nothing. I have also noticed that I have an oil leak somewhere on the back side of the engine as it leaves a small puddle of oil on the ground in that location. Just wondering if the oil sending unit is leaking the oil???? It is hard to see behind my carberator & below the distributor. Anyone else ever had this problem? Oh I have a 1987 RC with a built up 360 in it. Thanks,
Dan

·
Registered
810 Posts
Sounds like you have two oil pressure sending units, the large upper one is a variable resistor for the gauge, and the small lower one is a switch which, if I remember correctly, was used to send a signal to the carburetor choke or something like that. I don't know when Dodge started and ended this two sending unit system, but my '85 has it.

As for your oil leak, it could be a valve cover gasket, distributor o-ring, intake manifold end seal, or a connection at the oil pressure port, but it is most likely one of your sending units which is leaking. I have had many of the small ones leak over the years (including one brand new one). I know it is hard to see back there, much less work, but I'll bet that is what your problem is (assuming that the valve cover gaskets are OK).

·
29,380 Posts
Moparman440 said:
if I remember correctly, was used to send a signal to the carburetor choke or something like that.

As for your oil leak, it could be a valve cover gasket, distributor o-ring, intake manifold end seal, or a connection at the oil pressure port, but it is most likely one of your sending units which is leaking.
I agree with both statements.

·
Registered
196 Posts
NAPA 701-1608   low oil pressure cut-out switch. BOGGER 35 added this part to the parts data base and commented, "with this wired into your coil or ballast it will shut yer motor down if the oil pressure drops below 15 psi / " I have one in my 85.

·
Registered
7,749 Posts
as partially mentioned previously
on my 85, the wiring for the electric choke heater goes through the oil pressure sending unit. The elec choke doesn't get voltage until the oil pressure comes up. That way it is not getting power (to heat up) if the key is on but the engine not running.

·
Registered
2,266 Posts
i was leaking oil from my sending unit. it would leave a 5 in puddle after running 15 minutes. replaced the sending unit and the extreme oil leak stopped. now for the rest of the minor leaks, maybe another day.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts