Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
13,508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Anyone out there savvy in cross-referencing numbers in the parts books know if I can get a 'flanged' version of this oil seal?

National Multi-Purpose Seal 710058 | O'Reilly Auto Parts (oreillyauto.com)

I'd like to install one that has an outer flange that only permits the seal to go in a certain depth - like many pinion seals I've seen. I don't have the books to check id/od etc. and I'm hoping maybe one of you might know how to look one up?

Would like to install a seal that functions like this one -

Amazon.com: National 714675 - Differential pinion seal : Automotive

I'm trying to dig through the info I can find and compare the specs, but like I said I'm hoping one of y'all might have the fast track books to help speed up the process :)

According to the Orielly webpage, these are the specs:
Housing Bore (in): 2.562 Inch (65.07mm)
Inside Diameter (in): 1.937 Inch (49.2mm)
Outside Diameter (in): 2.566 Inch (65.18mm)
Width (in): 0.317 Inch (8.05mm)

Thanks,
- Sam

·
Registered
29,099 Posts
l need application

·
Registered
29,099 Posts
its tough Cat to look thru to find what you want but it's in there

·
Premium Member
13,508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
1995 Dodge Cummins (maybe gasser too?) 47RH automatic overdrive tail housing output shaft-to-transfer case

·
Registered
13,333 Posts
all the 4x4 46rh's I have do NOT use a seal on the tailshaft , not even from factory , only one even has an outer machined place for one , the adapter gets filled with trans oil , the gasket seals its outward leaking , the 241 has a seal keeping trans oil out/241 oil in ... I can photo 3 of them as removed from trucks ..

·
Premium Member
13,508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
? - well...I dunno, but this one does {noclue} IIRC my tail housing is from a 94-95 Cummins 47RH - the seal seals to the female t-case input shaft - there is no adapter, just tail housing to t-case, 2wd units seal to the slip yoke. IIRC the HD trucks had a 205 with a 23/23 dual-female coupler shaft with no seal, and the 205 adapter did collect oil - I think. In my specific case it seals nicely to the Atlas female input shaft. Without the seal the rear cavity still couldn't fill with oil; the 6-hole gasket (b/t the tail housing and t-case) is useless for 'containing' oil because there is a small weep groove down the back face of the tail housing and any oil in the rear cavity would simply leak out, indicating when the seal has failed - I use the gasket simply to keep the two aluminum surfaces from marring each other.

Link to the OE seal is above.

·
Registered
29,099 Posts

·
Registered
29,099 Posts
Sam you gotta learn to link your photos

·
Premium Member
13,508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
yah yah - Hey most of my pics link great 😋 - cut me some slack - I'm on the laptop and don't have my Imgur password memorized so I cut a corner and used the google link - I'm on a tight deadline! :LOL:.

But thanks just the same for posting them for me (y). You can see the machined surface where the seal goes, and I have a new OE seal...I'm just trying to find one with an outer lip so it can't go in cockeyed, which isn't hard to do as I don't have a 'hollow' installation tool that will 'stop' at the seal housing.
I'll call around tomorrow - see if one of the shops can match one based on the id, od, etc...

·
Registered
29,099 Posts
it does use a seal and without the actual PAPER book it's tough to look stiff up

what l did find out is they used that seal from 1981 to 2012 in all kinds of apps , all the part numbers l found are
# 4269956-AB
# 710058
# 19211
# 0522920

and NONE of them are flanged

·
Administrator
60,205 Posts
Sam.

Where is the seal supposed to be? Up against the bearing, or at the outside of the hole, which looks to be a good inch or so back from the bearing.

Usually comparing a flanged seal, the seal is further outward then a non flanged seal. If you want it on the outside of the hole, and have it seal on the atlas, then you might find one. But it sounds like you want it to seal on the 47rh output shaft, if that is the case, then a flanged seal will not work.

Wheel Tire Automotive tire Locking hubs Motor vehicle

·
Administrator
60,205 Posts
A 2" PVC pipe may work to make a driver, they measure at 2.375" OD. and 2" plus a hair ID.

If you still have access to a lathe, glue a straight coupler on the end, then turn it down to what you need.

·
Premium Member
13,508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
...If you want it on the outside of the hole, and have it seal on the atlas, then you might find one.
that's where I want it. The rear face of the seal matches the rear edge of the hole, so if the rubber lip is further back that would be fine

·
Administrator
60,205 Posts
That end right behind the red arrow, looks like it has a step in it. Won't give a lot for a seal to seat on.

You have enough room, I would stack 2 or 3 stock seals in there.

Reactions: neil4224

·
Premium Member
13,508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
maybe. The stock seal in the stock location will be 'fine' - as usual tho I'm just trying to improve things where possible, and this may or may not be possible. Without that seal tho I'll have a steady stream of ATF out the back end - no bueno {dont}

·
Administrator
60,205 Posts
Is the atlas designed to ride inside a stock seal?

·
Premium Member
13,508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
...well...when I ordered it I told them I had a 46RH with a 23 spline output that is 'X' long past the mating surface, and their female input shaft perfectly matches the OE seal and I believe is the x-long version to engage the seal well past the lip plus have max spline engagement, so the answer to your question is 'yes', but I think the bigger answer is...AFAIK, 'my' Atlas matches the OE setup for a 231 t-case. IOW, my Atlas should bolt up to any 46RH under a 4wd '93 Ramcharger.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts