Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well im into putting my 360 back together nd got too the oil pump. my gasket kit doesnt have a gasket for it... and my manual doesnt show or describe one. so is there one there? i cant remember when i took it apart . i have gasket paper too make one... but should i?

·
Registered
561 Posts
There are pros and cons to using a gasket. I have assembled probably 40 or 50 engines in my lifetime and have not used a gasket here yet. The thinking is that, if the paper degrades or blows out, it can contribute to bolt retention problems in the pump to block area as well as cost you psi in oil pressure. The mating surfaces are machined and seal up real well without the gasket. My .02. Somebody on here will probably give you a convincing argument for using the gasket, but I've never used one and haven't had any problems as the result of it.

Dave

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
i usually use a special sealer used for "machined mating" surfaces cant rember the name of the stuff

·
Premium Member
5,548 Posts
New oil pumps come with a thin paper gasket. I always use one. I do that because I always have one. I've never tore an engine down that had one there from the factory. So if you don't have one then don't worry about it.

·
Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thx guyslooks like its goin in with out one today.i talked with a few builders here too and all agre with ya.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts