Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
One of several things must be wrong with my engine. I'm hoping you can tell me some of the possibilities. Here is what is happeneing: I add oil to my engine, and the dipstick reads the same amount as before I added it. I added three quarts to the engine, and still, it says add..exactly where it was when I checked it first. Where is it going? Its not leaking, because I would see it in the driveway.WTF?

·
Premium Member
12,766 Posts
your burning it maybe. that lucus oil additive is eating it? ;D

you got a really deep pan? (still dont make since unless its really wide)

i think your burning it or its leaking in your rear main seal an hasnt dripped out yet

·
Premium Member
4,879 Posts
Measure your dipstick (handle to endO then measure your dipstick tube (top to pan). I am willing to bet you have an incorrect-reach dipstick. (The dipstick should be at least a few inches longer than the tube...)

-SM

·
Premium Member
26,070 Posts
A few inches, it should be close to a damned foot longer.

If it's not that you're putting it in the wrong hole

·
Registered
9,024 Posts
hey, speaking of dipstick tubes. they are only pressed into the hole in the timing cover (318), right? There is no bolt or clamp that holds them in? And how tight of a fit is it because I can't get mine in. The diameter of the tube seems too big....

·
Premium Member
12,766 Posts
lube it up first! yeah its only held in by pressure

·
Premium Member
4,879 Posts
Bummo said:
When it comes out of the top of the carb its full.
I have seen this done first hand....I almost died laughing when I heard "it was really low on oil, it took almost 10 quarts!". She was fortunate I caught her before she tried starting it... :eek:

-SM

·
Premium Member
12,766 Posts
was she pouring it down the carb slant?

·
Premium Member
4,879 Posts
willy J said:
was she pouring it down the carb slant?
No, she was filling thru the correct hole, she just kept filling until it came out of the rocker cover :eek::

This was on a little Mazda 4-banger. I would have been mad if it were any sort of Mopar ;)

-SM

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
Slanted_Mind said:
Bummo said:
When it comes out of the top of the carb its full.
I have seen this done first hand....I almost died laughing when I heard "it was really low on oil, it took almost 10 quarts!". She was fortunate I caught her before she tried starting it... :eek:

-SM
As long as I didn't have to fix it I would have let her crank that thing over (if it would have crank) and stood back and watched. That's funny!!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts