Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok im my ram and it warms up my oil presure drops.its full of oil and the sensor is new.and when the pressure drops it dose not overheat.could its be just a bad sensor?or a bad pump maybe?.oh and i have the oil gage not the oil light

·
Premium Member
4,868 Posts
yep, i'll just copy and paste, from my earlier thread:

DDGRC84 said:
your cam bearings are about shot... it's time for a rebuild. sorry.

this was my problem right before i built my motor. it finally dropped to 0, overheated and locked up. you might be able to keep it alive for a little longer with some thicker oil, but start planning on a rebuild.

Jake
you see, it's your cam bearings that control your oil pressure. that's where the oil goes first from the oil pump.

When an oil pump goes, it usually just quits, it doesn't fade or anything. I tried replacing my pump with a new HV pump, didn't help.

I tried a thicker oil, 10W40, then 15W-40, then 20W-50, then SAE 30. i finally ended up running SAE 40, in november, and it would have maybe 30 psi when i was running down the road.

there just isn't much you can do once those bearings are gone. when i pulled the motor, everything inside was about gone. The entire motor had been oil starved, the mains were toast, as were the rod bearings.

Jake

·
Super Moderator
29,805 Posts
Could also just be the gauge.
For the longest time, when I would be at a stop light with my foot on the brake (in Drive), my stock gauge would show NO pressure! I put an Autometer gauge in last year, and now when my stock gauge says "0", my Autometer says about 12 psi.

·
Premium Member
26,070 Posts
Ok what you read in post # 3 is not true, a oil pump can lose psi, it can pump less after it is warm, you can have a host or problems, clogged filter- some filters plug up, bad pick ups can also cause this exact problem, as will a scored pump, so you can start with the filter and then remove the pump and inspect, and then look at mains, any bearing can make a motor lose psi, what ever bearing calls it quits that's where all the psi is going to.

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
well it has 195,000.its going to need a rebuild soon anyway

·
Premium Member
4,868 Posts
yeah, sounds like a tired motor.. what weight oil are you running now?

I may be wrong on the oil pump failure part, but the info that i got on here a year ago was along those lines. i've never had an oil pump die on me (knocks on wood)

·
Registered
1,764 Posts
My oil pressure gauge always shows low when I'm idling in drive. When I'm going down the road after about 2-3 miles it'll bump up to about the second or third line. Never have had much of a problem tho. I've never checked the actual pressure, but oh well! Oh, and I'm sitting around 260000.

EZ

·
Registered
8,924 Posts
Mine would actually drop the longer I would drive but thats because my mains leak bad...

·
Registered
4,076 Posts
I'm trying to figure out mine, I have a gage and a light on my 94 1500 Ram with 88k. When i'm stopped the oil light will flicker, sometimes stay solidly on, but the gage is reading 38-40 and comes up to about 42 when I take off, then the light stays off till I stop. This is driving me nuts.

·
Premium Member
6,973 Posts
Evildriver-3 said:
Ok what you read in post # 3 is not true, a oil pump can lose psi, it can pump less after it is warm, you can have a host or problems, clogged filter- some filters plug up, bad pick ups can also cause this exact problem, as will a scored pump, so you can start with the filter and then remove the pump and inspect, and then look at mains, any bearing can make a motor lose psi, what ever bearing calls it quits that's where all the psi is going to.
I agree - You can loose psi with a worn/scored oil pump. The screen on the pick-up could also be clogged.
Also agree with KT - the factory gages are not very good.

beastmaster85 - I'd check your sending unit.

·
Premium Member
26,070 Posts
Hey i say this all the time, Go and Buy a Auto-Meter mechanical oil psi guage, and don't use anything else forget that factory crap, call Summit today and get your actual oil readings and piece of mind

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
well i dont know whats going on but after i drove it forawhile the oil pressure dosenot drop as low as what it did befor.still drops down after warming up but only 1 bar,and it gose back up when i hit the gas.thanks for the help guys

·
Premium Member
17,219 Posts
excuse me people, but did anybody ever actually ask him what oil pressure he was running at?

all engines will drop pressure after warmup, say at cold start you are running 70psi after warmup and the oil thinning down you may only be running 60 psi. dont go telling him to rebuild his engine when oyu dont even know the numbers.

if say he is at 70 on startup and he drops all the way to 0 after warmup then i could see a problem.

also new84 just go get as mechanical gauge and install it, this will go along ways towards telling you if it is the engine or the gauge.

eric

·
Registered
1,475 Posts
First of all factory guages are not very accurate,get an aftermarket guage installed for more accurate oil pressure,try changing the oil with a quality oil like castol,mobil etc also a good oil filter.Just changed oil in mine with castol it made a differance with oil pressure like 10-15lbs better.just my 2cents

·
Premium Member
4,868 Posts
Yeah, I admit, i jumped the gun a bit. I assumed (somehow, i dunno why) that he had a mech guage or had checked it with one. and for some reason, i thought he said that the pressure was dropping to next to nothing...

no more VH questions when i haven't slept in two days... sorry

Jake

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.