Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As i let my 77 power wagon idle and warm up it starts dogging, i just happened to look at the oil pressure gauge the guy before me put in and i noticed when i give it gas it tops out at about 60, when i first let it idle its pretty steady around 45, but after the engine warms up to just a little beyond cold, the pressure starts decreasing(it was at about 15 still going down) i gave it some gas and then it came back up then dropped to 15ish when i let it idle again.

what could be causing this? ne help would be greatful

·
Premium Member
4,868 Posts
your cam bearings are about shot... it's time for a rebuild. sorry.

this was my problem right before i built my motor. it finally dropped to 0, overheated and locked up. you might be able to keep it alive for a little longer with some thicker oil, but start planning on a rebuild.

Jake

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
k ya thats what i was kinda thinking was going to happen cuz i was having a lot of problems like back firing, then smoke, then headers, i was just about to say screw it and try to find a big block going to have to do some wheeling and dealing now lol

·
Premium Member
26,070 Posts
What????????????? hold on lets back up alittle before jumping the gun here, although im not really sure wtf is wrong with your post being so unspecific on your exact oil psi at idle that i can't give you the right answer , but if your saying you have 15 psi at idle after it's hot then you don't have a problem.
What oil you're using? what filter? the last time it or any of it was changed? is it low? alot of things can add to this but
(it was at about 15 still going down)
WTF is that? ? still going down to what? ? at how many RPM? 200? 500? 800? 3000? WTF how can anyone trully answer this question.

be specific

·
Registered
397 Posts
backfiring is timing or something with your distributor look under cap see if everything is tight and not flopping around........what color smoke ?
are you gonna rebuild it yourself .it's simple to do, once you get it out ........just keep the oil pressure in check or it will be a verry expensive fix

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
It is common for oil pressure to drop when at idle. Harvester is right about the timing. Give some answers to ED questions and you can get some more info.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
oil is quakerstate 4x4 10w30, filter is a fram, i just changed it this weekend, and i didnt want to let it get low because i wasnt sure what would happen

·
Premium Member
26,070 Posts
Ok lets answer these now.
the oil psi is still going down to what? ? at how many RPM? 200? 500? 800? 3000?
Personally i wouldn't use the fram filter, if you have 10 psi of oil psi for every 1000 rpm you will be ok, so if at 3000 rpm you have 30 psi of more your ok.

Be specific when my oil psi goes down after it is warmed up and i am IDLING at 800 rpm i have 20 psi when i am on the highway at 3000 rpm i have 60 psi

That is what i want to see you say copy and past this and fill in the blanks

When my truck is idling at ________rpm my oil psi is __________, is that ok ?

When my truck is on the highway and im at ________rpm my oil psi is __________, is that ok ?

Ok answer them

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
i cant tell u that cuz i dont have a tachometer

·
Premium Member
26,070 Posts
ok what is the lowest it gets at idle? and what is the highest it gets on the highway?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts