Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone,
This is 1990 RC 2wd 360 auto
This truck is only 2 months old to me. It had 86,000 when I got it but it feels brand new. I think even the spark plugs are the original ones ( i have not replace them yet)

I ve replaced mufflrer with Flowmaster 40 and the very end of exhaust pipe ( the tip) not for looks, but I was very suprised find that the stock tip has crap on inside to help noise reduction and of cousrse slow you down. There is a world of difference now.

I am not sure if my oil pressure is right, never seen it go above first quarter on gage. - Is this OK ???

This truck has tough daily business schedule so please feel free to recomend any kind of mods to improve reliability and performance.

thanks for the help

;)

·
Premium Member
16,239 Posts
On my 90 RC w/a 318, the stock gauge barely got to the quarter mark. I put a machanical gauge in and I have good pressure. After a 3 hour trip, I had 25 psi at idle with the tranny in drive. At 2k rpm, it is around 55-60 psi.

Don't go by my figures, though, get a mechanical gauge and install it so you really know.

Ted

·
7,995 Posts
Best thing to do is to have the oil pressure checked with a mechanical TEST gauge to make sure the pressure is correct. Then if need be, change the sender or change to another style gauge. Just went through this with my 77 W200...after 27 years the sender finally went bonkers. I have a test gauge and it reads 35# at idle but the dash gauge was reading almost nothing. Replaced the sender and the gauge reads 35# at idle just like the test gauge. Not bad for a 27 year old factory gauge?
The minimum specs on your engine should be...
At Idle 6 psi
At 3000 RPM 30-80 psi

·
Registered
561 Posts
Just as a heads-up, for what ever reason, Dodge used 2 oil pressure gauges. One had a 0-80 psi range, and the other, 0-100 psi. Mix and match the gauges and send units and it's possible you don't really know what you've got.

Undoubtedly, the bullet proof way of knowing for sure is to hook a reliable mechanical gauge up and observe the oil pressure at all of the critical times of operation, idle @ start up, idle hot, down the road etc. This may also help you decide what grade / weight of oil to run to help an older motor, (With looser clearances), survive a little longer before that impending rebuild becomes a priority.

Dave

1 - 6 of 6 Posts