Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all:
I am having a problem with my 96 ram1500 4x4. About a week ago, the oil pressure started dropping from just a little over 40 to the first mark on the white line on the factory dash gauge. It did that about 2 days and quit and yesterday comming home, it started again and this time would almost go to 0. It only does this when accelerating from a stop or quick acceleration when moving. It never moves when at constant speed. I searched some of the other posts on here and everyone recommends going to a mechanical gauge. I plan to change the sending unit today to see if that is it. When it drops the motor does not make any noise and the temp stays at normal operating temp. At idle the oil pressure is fine also.
I have owned this truck since it was new and have never done any major maintenance so my other question is what is the best manual to get for maintenance. The truck has 125k miles, mostly highway and I am going to start doing maintenance myself.
If I have to, what kind of work is involved in changing the oil pump if that turns out to be the problem?
thanks for any help
Kenny

·
Premium Member
4,879 Posts
First, check the oil. If it is (very) low you can uncover the pickup when accelerating.

Best manual to get is a Factory Service Manual. They are also the most expensive, but cover every nut and bolt on your truck.

-SM

1 - 3 of 3 Posts