Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Truck is a '74 2WD with a 360 and a NP435.

I'm in the middle of replacing the timing set. Next time I got on it, I was going to put everything back together. Now I'm thinking that "as long as I'm there" I should take down the pan, clean the pickup screen, and put new gaskets on it. The pan doesn't leak now, but I'm sure that installing the timing cover correctly will be a lot easier with the pan removed anyway. Sort of curious what's in the oil pump pickup after 45 years, too.

So, timing cover still off, I'm wondering what my chances are of getting the pan out without lifting the engine. Especially since this truck doesn't have an exhaust pipe crossing underneath, it looks like it might drop right out when unbolted. But I know that sometimes looks can be deceiving depending on the shape of the pickup tube!

Any thoughts?

·
Super Moderator
29,795 Posts
I know with a 4WD they can sometimes slip out without lifting the engine but the 360 has larger counterweights on the crank that can get in the way.  So you may need to rotate the crank a bit to get clearance.  I would try it but have a backup plan to lift the engine a little just in case.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.