1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
13,500 Posts
yes with out TOO much troubles either .

·
Registered
29 Posts
Place the two front corner bolts and the rear corner bolts into the oil pan with gaskets assembled to hold the gaskets in place for when you have to maneuver the front of the oil pan between the frame reinforcement bracket(that will be in the way if not removed) and the oil pan mating surface. That way the gaskets dont bunch up on you.. Also make sure the front and rear oil pan gaskets are flush and haven't moved before you torque the screws down.otherwise you will have an oil leak that will drive u crazy. Im sure thats what dodge82273 meant as not "too much trouble"

·
Administrator
62,284 Posts
I use a light coat of RTV, and some of the Wife's sewing thread throught the gasket and pan holes, to keep the gasket in place. Then start all the bolts 2 to 3 turns, check the gaskets all the way around, then starting in the center going outward, I will make all the bolts finger tight, then go back with the torque wrench, and tighten them all to spec, again, going from the center outwards.

·
Registered
13,500 Posts
sorta , exhaust crosses under trans not engine , if you jack the truck up , put stands under the frame , let the front axle "HANG " down you have room ,( remove tires?)( REALLY trust stands?)  disco battery , drop starter , trans cover , and 1 or 2 support arms ,oil filter , good to go ..  some auto's ya can't do at all , some have alot more steps ....

·
Registered
8,322 Posts
SuperBurban said:
I use a light coat of RTV, and some of the Wife's sewing thread throught the gasket and pan holes, to keep the gasket in place. Then start all the bolts 2 to 3 turns, check the gaskets all the way around, then starting in the center going outward, I will make all the bolts finger tight, then go back with the torque wrench, and tighten them all to spec, again, going from the center outwards.
Sewing thread... I've never heard that one.
Sounds like a good idea.

·
Super Moderator
29,798 Posts
If I have room, I like using a few long bolts with the heads cut off as guides.  Usually they will hold the pan gasket up long enough to get the pan on.

·
Registered
13,500 Posts
ya know .......  all that was asked is can it be done engine in car ? I'll assume if advice on gasket replacement is required that will be asked for next ?  there's probably 100 different preferred methods  LOL  ;D ;D

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.