Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had the bright idea that the old RC needed a new set of gaskets for the pan. Well it leaks worse than before. What is the trick to getting the rear gasket to sit tight and stay put when installing the pan? The fron tis easy with the nipples and overlapping seal.

Its an 84-360.

Thanks in advance, cause I know there has to be an easier way.

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
well what i did was i installed the seal in the main cap BEFOR putting up the pan.... it worked for me but i dont know how well it would work for anyone else///

·
Registered
104 Posts
I know that in my VW "Idiot Manual", it says to use super-glue on the valve cover gaskets. Make a small bead of glue around the valve cover and stick the gasket to it. But not to use any on the engine side of the gasket.

My guess would be that it wouldn't hurt to do the same on a Dodge & that should hold it in place.

Gonzo

·
2,317 Posts
moparPW200guy said:
well what i did was i installed the seal in the main cap BEFOR putting up the pan.... it worked for me but i dont know how well it would work for anyone else///
i have done it like that, works good ;D. or a small bead of silicone on the pan, then put it up. ;D

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I tried some trv, and should have pulled off the transfer cover before hand. Wince I will be removing it again monday, damnit, to fix it I i may try the put it on first idea. With the transfer cover on it I cannot tell if it is seated right or not, plus will give me some more room to work. Is silicone sticky enough to hold it in place?

·
2,317 Posts
let it tack up for a few minutes, then set the seal on. worked for me before.

·
29,379 Posts
I've done this so many times that I feel I am an expert. Ever since I figured out how to do it this way, I've been a happy camper. ;D
This is how I do it:
First, of course is to make sure you have good access to get your pan up. Make sure your front crank counter weights are up in the block, not hanging down. I also remove my brake hose mounting bracket from the crossmember. Clean all sealing surfaces.
-I then mount the rear pan seal up on the BLOCK, by using a tiny amout of 3M Weatherstrip Adhesive to hold itself up.
-Then, put a small amount of RTV on the ends of the rear seal, where it will contact the side gaskets.
- Put some of the 3M adhesive on the block side of the side gaskets, then stick them to the block, making sure the bolt holes line up.
-Mount the front seal to the PAN, and put a small amount of RTV on the ends where it contacts the side gaskets.
-Then just carefully snake the pan up in there and bolt it up.

I have found that mounting the rear and side gaskets to the block first, makes this job 10 times (okay, maybe 9 times) easier. :eek:

·
Premium Member
16,239 Posts
I never thought about putting the rear and side gaskets on the block.

I've done it twice and had to re-do it due to leaks both times.

Thanks for the tips KT!!!!

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Worked like a charm. A little glue for the rear gasket and DONE. No more cursing or loosing tools. (It is amazing how far a 1/2" can go from under a truck)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.