Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey RCC!

I need some advice on an oil pan gasket.

I am replacing the oil pan on the 318 that is going into my 75 TD. I'm changing it from the car style (mid-sump) to the truck style (rear pump).

Fel-Pro offers 2 gasket sets. One set is for the 318 & 340 engines, one is for the 360 engine.

I cannot get the front corner (at the timing cover) to stay in when the oil pan is torqued down.
I'm going slowly through the bolt pattern, tightening the bolts down evenly as I go. Everything is good right up until the end.

When the corner bolts start to get tight, one side pops out. I have the little tabs pulled through the holes when I start.
I'm on the third set now, it's getting very frustrating.

My question is... would the truck style oil pan be better with the 360 gasket that has the thinner front rubber piece?

OS 6566 C-2, 318/340 motor, thick rubber piece at both ends...
Musical instrument String instrument accessory Guitar accessory Musical instrument accessory Wood

OS 6566 C-3, 360 motor, thin rubber piece at one end...
Musical instrument String instrument accessory Musical instrument accessory Guitar accessory Rectangle

The part that pops out is circled in blue below...
Font Electric blue Bicycle part Auto part Fashion accessory

Thank you for any help.

·
Registered
29,344 Posts

·
Registered
13,405 Posts
and the diameter of the pan ends between a 360 and 318 is different , you must use the one for your engine ..

·
Registered
'79 Dodge Power Wagon Macho
4,165 Posts
Yes the 360 pan is unique to it's self and won't work on a 318 - you would have a 1/2 gap between the pan and timing cover at the front. Test fit the end seal against the cover - do both ends of the end seal touch the pan rail and is snug all around the bottom of the timing cover? Are you over tightening?

·
Super Moderator
1,418 Posts
That's pretty strange - it's usually the front of the cork gasket that causes problems. I'm thinking maybe ya have the seal flipped around left to right. The spikes sticking out on the pan side are there to hold those corners in place during assembly and I want to say they're two different sizes. They also do a great job of getting in the way of the front pan bolts. If you've been cutting them off to get at the bolt, don't until the rest of the pan bolts are snugged up.

·
Premium Member
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks all for the replies. I do have the little spikes in the correct side, there is a difference in size that makes it obvious which way they go.

I'm gonna try the permatex on the seal and let it set up before installing the pan. Maybe that will keep it in place. I didn't have this issue when I did my 360 Magnum, but that is a one piece pan.

Thanks again

1 - 7 of 7 Posts