Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,631 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Where do you get them? Mine are starting to strip and I don't want to put these ones back in. The guy at the auto parts store gave my dad some "5/16-18 x 3/4" Hex Cap Screws" that are course grade 5. They don't match up completely (i.e. they're not quite as long, but stop right where the threading stops on the actual bolts, would need to find a small washer to go on them like on the actual bolts, etc.)
Is there a place to get the real thing? If I called a dealer could they get them, and for a decent price?

If no, is this the best replacement option? Or what is?

I was gonna post a picture of the two bolts side by side, but i can't get my imagestation account to work... we'll see about that...

derek

·
7,995 Posts
You could call Summit as ED-3 suggests. If you want the originals, I don't think you'll like the price of the individual bolts at the dealer. Forget putting a washer on a regular bolt unless you want the washer to fall in your face 400 times. Here's another possibility to check out..call the dealer and see if he can still order part number P4120613 and see what price he gets. This is the same set that summit sells for $15 and Jim's sells for $7. Also at www.jimsautoparts.com you will find some replacement sets.
www.jimsautoparts.com/engine_oiling_parts.htm

·
Premium Member
6,973 Posts
Evildriver-3 said:
CALL SUMMIT
Right on -
Did you say what engine ? the 18's have 1/4-20x3/4 - should be able to get them anywhere. Before you put the pan back up, put a 2 x 4 block of wood under the pan rails and carefully tap down any high spots around the holes where the bolts go thourgh - it will help the gasket seal better

·
Premium Member
2,631 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks all.

Macario: I said they're starting to get stripped... but I meant that the heads on them are starting to round...

·
Registered
368 Posts
You can get those just about anywere, I like to tap the threads before installing anything, but be careful it you do so. MAKE SURE YOU HAVE THE TAP STRAIGHT BEFORE YOU START TURING IT. the last thing you want to have happen is to cut the threads wrong, or worse break a tap. You dont have to tap the treads, but it really does clean them out.

·
Premium Member
6,973 Posts
50ply said:
You can get those just about anywere, I like to tap the threads before installing anything, but be careful it you do so. MAKE SURE YOU HAVE THE TAP STRAIGHT BEFORE YOU START TURING IT. the last thing you want to have happen is to cut the threads wrong, or worse break a tap. You dont have to tap the treads, but it really does clean them out.
Good thought - just make sure you use whats called a bottoming tap

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
The heads are rounding off on the oil pan bolts? Those are not put on with high torque and they are a small bolt head that maybe you should use a 1/4 drive and socket to put on. When you get the new bolts put the 4' bar away and read the torque specs. I dont think it says "tight as you can and then three more turns." Just a suggestion to make the new bolts last a little longer. as per the bolts somebody gave but are too long? you could use a lock washer with em. I dont think that could hurt any. Grade 5 is fine. Better than grade 8 is some applications because it has a little bit more stretch. Watch ebay or summit for a full bolt kit if that makes sense for your project. They arent hard to find either way.

·
Registered
365 Posts
try Ace hardware of home depot ect, ect. that is where I got my new leaf spring bolts when I did my lift
ken

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.