Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
766 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A guy I work with has a '01 Ram 1500 4x4, and it's leaking oil from the end of the axle tube on the passenger side. Is this likely just a seal that went to hell, or is it possible that he might have some serious troubles? I want to ask anyone here if they've replaced these seals, and if so, what the job consistes of. Is it something that can be done on a Saturday afternoon with a decent set of tools, or is it best left to the professionals? BTW, the truck has over 100,000 miles, and is driven agressively, but it doesn't get offroad all that much. Any input, advice, or opinions will be greatfully appreciated by both of us.

·
Premium Member
5,548 Posts
its the inner axle seal. Mine leaks on the Pass side too on my 94. The fix is to pull the gears out and get inside there to replace the seal. So no it couldn't be done on a saturday afternoon with regular tools. I did find that on my moms jeep that when pulled the axle shaft out and spray and wipe down the axle shaft real good and do the same for the seal and put fresh oil on the seal and reinstall that it stopped or slowed way down on leaking. Its a double lip seal and they should seal pretty good and are durable. I think crud gets on them and they start leaking.

·
29,907 Posts
chrysler300le said:
its the inner axle seal. Mine leaks on the Pass side too on my 94. The fix is to pull the gears out and get inside there to replace the seal. So no it couldn't be done on a saturday afternoon with regular tools. I did find that on my moms jeep that when pulled the axle shaft out and spray and wipe down the axle shaft real good and do the same for the seal and put fresh oil on the seal and reinstall that it stopped or slowed way down on leaking. Its a double lip seal and they should seal pretty good and are durable. I think crud gets on them and they start leaking.
Wouldn't it be the outer axle seal on a 94+ truck? They have the diff on the opposite side of the pre 94 trucks. Unless axle seal are designed differently than pre 94, they should just be on the opposite side, which would mean that the passenger side should be the outer, not the inner, and is much easier to get to. Or am I missing something?
I've changed both those seals on my 86, but never on my 2000, so I have not seen those innards yet.

·
Premium Member
5,548 Posts
ok you got me thinking, there is not a outer seal on the pass side except there should be one by the CAD.

·
Premium Member
5,548 Posts
This isn't the best pic to prove where the axle seal is but i did stick a screw driver in this end and hit nothing. So the seal is up by the CAD unit. So that means this could be done in an afternoon if the parts stores have the right seal. More then likely you will have to pull it out and take it to them to match it up. If you go in there and tell them you want the seal for the front axle they probably wont' be able to find it for you. My dad's 87 does have the seal at the end and none of the parts stores could give us the right seal till we took it out and matched it up.

Attachments

·
29,907 Posts
Ahhhhh, now you've got me thinking. It's starting to make some sense now.
There must be a seal and a bearing at or near the CAD unit. Maybe that is why on the newer trucks, the CAD unit is mounted to the rear of the axle tube (for easier access to the seal and/or bearing), instead of on top of the axle tube like older units??
As you probably know, on an older CAD axle, the driver side (with the CAD unit) has the bearing on the end of the tube, and NOT a bearing inside the spindle on that side. Since axles don't spin in a perfect cirlce at a u-joint, it only can have a bearing at one side of the u-joint or the other. The passenger side doesn't have a bearing on the axle housing, but it DOES have one inside the spindle on that side.
With the newer style one-piece stub axle/hub assembly, it can't have a bearing near the u-joint because the one piece stub axle has no give, So it must have a bearing (and a seal) inboard a ways.
Does this make sense? Maybe I can double check my 2000 FSM tonight.
Did I just highjack this thread? Sorry :-[

·
Registered
766 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Alright, so the CAD is on the passenger side, is the seal most likely near the outer side of the CAD? If so, all he'd have to do is: 1) Pull the CAD motor, and 2) Pull the hub apart to slide the axle out, right? Is it possible to pull the axle out through the hub like on the older Dana 44's? Or do you have to take the steering knuckle off to get the axle out? KThaxton, I think I understand what you're saying. If you could check out your FSM tonight, that would be great, thanks.

·
29,907 Posts
loosewheelbob said:
Alright, so the CAD is on the passenger side, is the seal most likely near the outer side of the CAD? If so, all he'd have to do is: 1) Pull the CAD motor, and 2) Pull the hub apart to slide the axle out, right? Is it possible to pull the axle out through the hub like on the older Dana 44's? Or do you have to take the steering knuckle off to get the axle out? KThaxton, I think I understand what you're saying. If you could check out your FSM tonight, that would be great, thanks.
I can't answer your questions yet, because I've never had to tear into my 2000's front end yet, but you are probably right in how it comes apart.
I will see if my FSM has the right info tonight.

·
Premium Member
5,548 Posts
these trucks have sealed hub bearings. There is three big bolts that come out to take the hub assembly off. Then you can slide that axle out. Air hammers are very useful here as the hubs are hard to get off.

·
29,907 Posts
I tried to scan the CAD breakdown from my FSM, but my new scanner is messing with my mind, AND, I can't resize it to fit under the 50kb max.....but....
It does look like there is a seal at the CAD unit itself. I can't tell which way it has to go out, but it looks like you need to get the shaft out and remove the CAD shift motor, then go from there. Sorry I don't have more answers right now. If I can get this damn scanner figured out, I'll scan some images for you.

·
Registered
766 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks much! I won't see the guy until Sunday, I'll tell him everything we've come up with on this thread then.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.