Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a R/C 89 318. For a long time my il pressure guage has read less then 1/8. I just figured i had a clogged sensor or something crazy but just recently I noticed smoke coming from below the tranny area. I look down and i have oil dripping on the exhaust. Motor oil to be more specific. i went under the hood did some searching and it was not a head gasget like i figured.

I took off the air cleaner and started the truck. Straight behind the carb is like a rubber straw coming up that has like a wire or a fine metal line coming out of it. When the truck is running oil just spews out of the top of that rubber straw. Can anyone explain what that is and what i need to do to stop it?

Thanks Rhyno

·
Registered
962 Posts
is it at the back of the motor beside your distributor?? if so thats your oil sending line and if its leaking from there that is the reason ur guage is running low aswell

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
if you are looking at the motor its straight behind the carb and to the left of the distributer like 6 inches

·
Super Moderator
14,032 Posts
Since this is new to you, a picture would help us tell you what you are looking at.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
U could say that i havent spent alotta time under the hood but im tryin to learn and tomorrow i will get a picture of it so i could give u guys a pin point to the leak.

Thanks prospector and doc

·
Registered
962 Posts
not a problem  ;D

·
Registered
70 Posts
I don't have an 89, but a 77 and an 84. So my experience is coming from there.

About 6" to the left of the distributor, behind the intake manifold is the port for your oil pressure sending unit. 

If it's a mechanical guage (probably aftermarket), it has a capilary tube less than 1/8" in diameter.  Oil runs from the sending unit (probably just a brass fitting), through the tube (most likely copper or plastic) to the back of the guage.  A hole or break will cause a drop in pressure reading at the gauge and an oil leak.  After market replacement guages are $10-$200 depending on your taste.  They have instructions.

An electric gauge (all or most factory gauges from my experience) will have a sending unit in the same location.  Mine are a small metal "can", roughly the size of a tennis ball.  It has a metal disk on top that a wire clips on and eventually goes to the gauge.  It shouldn't be leaking in this manner unless the sending unit is punctured.

If you want to eliminate the gauge (and the leak) for now,  unscrew the fitting or the sending unit from the block.  A brass 14" plumbing plug available at any hardware store should fit the hole.  I'd unscrew it and take it with you to be sure.

A replacement capillary is harder to find, but not impossible.  Make sure you get the correct fittings.  Check the parts store for oil/heat resistant tubing that small.

Good Luck.

·
Registered
8,249 Posts
Copper Top said:
A replacement capillary is harder to find, but not impossible. Make sure you get the correct fittings. Check the parts store for oil/heat resistant tubing that small.

Good Luck.
Actually most parts stores sell an entire "Oil Line Kit" that includes the tubing, fittings, ect to install a Mechanical Gauge or to replace damaged parts

1 - 8 of 8 Posts