Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just installed the headers on the engine and found out I need to replace the current oil filter set-up. The oil filter points toward the transmission. Summit has the dual oil filter relocation kits for 40 or so dollars. Is there anything special I need to know or will this just spin on with no problem.
Thanks, Don

·
Registered
138 Posts
I used a dual oil filter relocation kit on my A100. I also put a oil cooler in at the same time. The kit was easy to install. I got mine through Carquest, and most autoparts stores can get them.

·
Premium Member
26,070 Posts
Yeah those kits are all pretty much spin on, clean the hoses prior to installing them and keep them away from headers and from laying on the frame it'll wear a hole in them, unless you go for the braided lines

·
Registered
509 Posts
What model/year truck????

·
Premium Member
26,070 Posts
1 other thing, those kits you get from summit, B&M and Hayes and Trans Dapt are real easy to break the spin on adapter that goes to the block, when putting in the hoses don't tighten them to much or that misserable damned cheap castings will crack on you

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Appreciate the help. I have used them on a couple other trucks but didn't remember is the nipple size is standard or if Dodge does anything any differently. I am going to order it and wanted to make sure I get the right product the first time. It's going on a 87 RC 4 X 4. Thanks, Don

·
Premium Member
26,070 Posts
Those kits come with a few different nipples i believe

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
Evildriver is right about the cast adapters breaking easy so tighten to spec only, use a torque wrench. The nipples on my sandwich adapter are 3/8".

(Come to think of it, so were my ex-girlfriend's) :eek:

·
Premium Member
26,070 Posts
Yeah i actually use canton adaptors, more money but worth it

·
Premium Member
4,868 Posts
macario said:
Evildriver is right about the cast adapters breaking easy so tighten to spec only, use a torque wrench. The nipples on my sandwich adapter are 3/8".

(Come to think of it, so were my ex-girlfriend's) :eek:
didja mic em?

This might be a great How-To

Jake

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
Sorry to bring up an old thread...But Where can i get a filter relocation kit..the 2 filter one. Looked every place i could...Only have kits for chevys...fords.

And to the people who have used the 2 filters...Does it really clean the oil good? Its worth the money?

·
Registered
2,258 Posts
Pholom said:
Sorry to bring up an old thread...But Where can i get a filter relocation kit..the 2 filter one. Looked every place i could...Only have kits for chevys...fords.
I got mine from Summit. It was a universal kit- it works on anything. I use the WIX 51515 filters.

And to the people who have used the 2 filters...Does it really clean the oil good? Its worth the money?
Two filters should trap twice the dirt. The oil still gets dirty and breaks down, so it still needs changing at the same mileage intervals.

·
Registered
7,749 Posts
joe swinehart said:
correct me if im wrong but ferd and mopar use the same thread pattern?
think so, the NAPA 1515 Ford filter has the same base but is a taller filter. I keep meaning to check to see if I got room for the taller one, but I keep forgetting

·
Registered
2,258 Posts
joe swinehart said:

i believe these kits are designed to use a chevy threaded filter.
Ford and Chrysler filters have a 3/4-16 thread chevy uses 13/16-16

·
Registered
7,749 Posts
joe swinehart said:

i believe these kits are designed to use a chevy threaded filter.
are you meaning that the filter mount takes Chevy patterned filters, or that the adapter that screws to the block is a Chevy pattern?
Once the right adapter is on the block it shouldn't matter which thread pattern of filter you need as long as you remember when you go to buy replacements.

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
The kits are designed to take a PH-8A filter (or two). I'm pretty sure that's a chebby 350 application. Nice thing about that is it's available in the extra tall version (1 quart vs 1 pint)

1 - 20 of 47 Posts