Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
647 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had nothing better or easier to take care of today than replace the temp sensor. While undoing the A/C compressor, the bracket that holds it down to the intake broke. It is made of some type of alloy. Real fragile I guess. I know that it is a part that a J/Y might have but for a temp fix, can I JB Weld it. I have to get back to Augusta in the AM. From what I can see, that bracket does not seem to do much. Thanks
Birk

·
Premium Member
8,998 Posts
it probably don't do much, but as long as ya don't use the a/c, it shouldn't hurt.

Can ya drill holes and put a metal strap across the break onboth side ?? that'd be better than jb weld.

·
Registered
647 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
the bracket seems way to brittle for drilling. The A/C does not work so putting it on is not a problem. As I looked at it, the compressor is attached to the block by a bigger bracket and in the front by another bracket. It seems to be covered as to the stability part. I dont intend to fix the A/C and would really like to do away with the compressor. Any ideas on a pulley system to replace it? Thanks for the quick reply. Birk

·
Premium Member
8,998 Posts
you'd have to look around. I am in the same quandry as I have the old style rv-2, and i don't plan on fixing it, and I am gonna have to make somethign to get rid of it, but I need the pulley for the alt belt. I may just install a 2nd alternator there.

·
Registered
647 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
never thought of the second alternator before. would have to make a pulley that sits as high as the A/ C but needs to be stong enough for the belt tension. I have not seen a P/U or R/C without A/C so I cant get an idea for how dodge ran the belts prior to A/C or without A/C as an option. I will just keep on think.

·
Premium Member
8,998 Posts
I had another truck that ran the belts diff, but it had a/c too. But the way it was routed, you could do away with the a/c compressor more easily.

it wouldn't need to sit as high, just make sure it is lined up. You can always get shorter belts for the alt.

When I make mine, I am gonna mount the alt solid, and just adjust the pulley instead.

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
jeres another thought.... my 88 dakota had the A\C bracketry but an idler pulley instead of the A\C compressor.... i have been thinking about putting the idler in place of the compressor on my 71 dar for about a year now... its just an idea...

·
Premium Member
4,868 Posts
yeah, my bracked it only mounted to the front, there wasn't a mounting point on the new intake for the back part, so it just kinda sits there, no worries

·
Premium Member
17,219 Posts
since my rc did not have a/c originally i installed an engine that had a/c but i did not use the a/c i can probably help with this

you will need to go to j/y and find the fan pulley from a non a/c equipped truck, it is a bit deeper than the a/c equipped vehicles, you will also need the harmonic balancer pulley for this as well. the a/c equipped truck HB pulleys used 2 grooves the same size, on non a/c trucks the back groove on the pulley was smaller to clear the deeper fan pulley.

the other option is to use a alternator with dual groove pulley, but it will be out of alignment about 1/2 inch or so.

also i have seen at least one truck that had an idler pulley in place of the a/c bracket

eric

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
I put an idler pulley on mine. I had to make a bracket to mount the top end of it to the intake because the donor I pulled it off didn't have one and without it the thing wobbles all over. The two bolts on the bottom mount right up to where the compressor was/is.

G

·
I removed the a/c and used the old brackets to hang the alternator. You can space the alt just far enough forward to run a shorter belt straight off the crank pulley. You need to go forward enough for the new belt to clear the bottom of the water pump. I have since converted to a Delco Remy alt and it is hung the same way. Just takes some care with the spacing

·
Registered
647 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
outstanding ideas. gives me alot to think about. just as long as the R/C makes it to Augusta, GA today and back home at least 2 more times. As long as Jake has been running like I am about to run, I should be good to go. Thanks for info. Birk

·
Premium Member
8,998 Posts
wait a minute...yer gonna believe a guy who tried to make us all think he did a wheelie in his beast ????

·
Registered
15 Posts
hey ok you can try this i did it on my cuda. take the ac stuff off chuck it aside. now if the alt mounts to that big bracket the ac compressor is attached to take the ac pump off it and cut down the bracket to remove mounting points for the ac pump purely cosmetic . then run a shorter belt from crank to alt you can grind down the fins on water pump to clear the beltsnt so much to f up the pump just take it down smooth. a bit of work but no more the bone yard searching for other parts to convert when you get it all installed take the alt place it about a inch from ita shortest position cut your old long belt and use it to measure for the new shorter belt. buy 2 an extra is nice to have and keep the part # handy.
take it for what its worth and good luck

1 - 16 of 16 Posts