Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
6,480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'll keep this post updated for my offroad trailer updates. I wish I had some pics of it when I first got it, but I didn't know about RCC then. It was originally an old pop up camper trailer we had sitting at our deer lease for years rusting away. I straightened up the frame in a few places and cut off the excess I didn't need. It had a 5 on 4.5 pattern when I got it, but I switched it out to a 5 on 5.5 pattern to match my truck. It had P225X70XR15s when I first got it, cause those were the only tires with that pattern that I could get. Pretty wussy huh?

Attachments

·
Registered
6,480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I had some old steel wheels laying around so I cleaned them up and painted them OD green and then mounted my old 33X12.50 mud tires on them. It looks much better. BTW, this trailer is made to handle 36X16.50 tires.

Attachments

·
Registered
6,480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I used to have a standard ball hitch on here when I bought it, but wanted to ditch it immediately. I knew I wanted a hook and pintle for offroading. I originally cut the frame and welded a 3/8 X 6 flatbar on there for mounting the pintle too. It sat way too low so I reengineered it to drop the hitch down so my trailer would sit higher. I like it better this way.

Attachments

·
Registered
6,480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I wanted a rear tailgate on this trailer, but I wanted ramps too. I thought about putting the ramps under the trailer so they would be out of the way, but I figured that they would drag when I was offroad. That was when I decided to make the ramps into the tailgate. I had to rip some angle iron full length on my bandsaw to get them the right sizes I needed.

Attachments

·
Registered
6,480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ramps deployed. I also recessed the brake lights and license plate so they wouldn't get broken easily if I backed into something. It makes it harder to steal too. ;D

Attachments

·
Registered
6,480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I got both doors on the drivers side done completely. I have my floor jack in the back box (#2) so I mounted the handle to the door so it was out of the way. On the front door (#1) I mounted 4 straps to strap my dirtbike down.

Attachments

·
Registered
6,480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I also got one of the gas can racks done too. I just need time to finish up the other one for my water cans. They aren't hard to build, just very time consuming. The design I chose uses a bar that goes a cross the opening of the gas can. This keeps the gas cans from walking off while I'm not around and prevents anybody from siphoning gas out cause they can not take them off.

·
Registered
6,480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
new tires for the trailer, 36X14.50X16.50s.

·
Registered
6,480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
lift for the trailer too. ;D

·
Registered
6,480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
It would be nice if I could get some time to finish it up. If I had 7 or 8 straight days to work on it I could completely finish it up. I ordered my new 16.5X10 wheels for those 36s. They should be in this week and mounted up by saturday. Once they are on I'll get some new pics of my toy. ;D

·
Registered
6,480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
New wheels for the 36s. Before and after pics. They should be mounted up by this weekend and ready to go.

Attachments

·
Registered
6,480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I got my new 35s mounted on the new wagon wheels the other day, but just now got around to getting some pics. Those 36s I bought on ebay this past summer were junk. The tread is separating from the sidewall and I didn't want them coming apart on the highway. David gave me a set of 3 35X12.50 BFG MTs that were in pretty good shape. I think they look better than the bald 33s and fill up the wheel wells better.

Attachments

·
Registered
6,480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Bill- said:
if your trailer has bigger tires than your truck........ you might be a *******
I know I am a *******. I do not deny it like others. And besides, my 36s are going on my RC next week. BTW, I'm planning on painting the trailer OD green whenever I get it done.

·
Registered
6,480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
My trailer now sits level with my truck. It looks better now and doesn't point to the ground anymore. And Bill, my tires on my truck are now bigger than the trailer. ;D

Attachments

1 - 20 of 23 Posts