Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, I hope I put this in the right spot, But I'm building an old school dodge prerunner out of my 75 w100. I need help deciding on a carb that will handle off camber stuff since I still wanna be able to crawl it a bit, but work good in speed not flood out in whoops.
Any help would be appreciated, thanks.

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
Fuel injection....but if you must

I’ve had good luck with the Holley truck avengers, though they are a bit tricky to tune.

·
Super Moderator
13,934 Posts
personally I love the Holley 2300, 500 cfm 2bbl carbs. Even at a 45* angle f/b or l/r I can't see them uncovering the jets and stalling, etc. About as simple a carb as can be, reliable, and plenty big enough for any small block and most big blocks, and almost guaranteed to run good with no adjustments right out of the box.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/hly-0-4412c/overview/

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
Mad Max said:
personally I love the Holley 2300, 500 cfm 2bbl carbs. Even at a 45* angle f/b or l/r I can't see them uncovering the jets and stalling, etc. About as simple a carb as can be, reliable, and plenty big enough for any small block and most big blocks, and almost guaranteed to run good with no adjustments right out of the box.

I don't believe the 2300 will bolt to a 318 2bbl manifold will it?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Mad Max said:

Im putting a whiplash cam in it because I wanna build a budget Ripper motor and get it half ass reliable before I start building up the suspension. Do you think the 2300 has enough to supply a mildly built small block.

·
Super Moderator
13,934 Posts
Mudd-Flapp said:
Do you think the 2300 has enough to supply a mildly built small block.
for sure - well..."I" think so. Being a 500 cfm 2bbl it's a 'big' 2bbl. You'll likely want to get a nice 4bbl intake and use a clean adapter. Of course there are 4bbl carbs that won't need an adapter, but honestly most small blocks can't use more than 500 cfm to begin with. The great thing about the 2bbl is it's super simple to setup and tune, they run awesome, and...there's only one float bowl to worry about for wheelin'. IMO, this carb with an Edelbrock Performer or RPM intake would be sweet.

·
Super Moderator
29,791 Posts
Eh, carbs are a compromise off road, in my opinion.  You either get center hung floats that screw up going up or down a climb, or you get side hung floats that suck as off camber situations.  EFI is the way to go and won't care about the terrain or bumps.  A carb can work, but there will always be spots where they will give you trouble.

·
Registered
63 Posts
guys in the early Bronco community swear by Rochester quadrajets for offroad,and the Autolite 2v running a close 2nd. 
I'm a Holley guy, and have run the 500cfm 2V on my Bronco for years and years.  Not much crawling, but definitely a lot of high speed rough stuff (logging roads, and high desert) and it really is a fantastic carb. 
it runs so well that I've had to pop the hood to prove it wasnt EFI. 

My favorite though, is the Holley mdl 1850.  600 cfm, vacuum secondary.  A little bit more to the tuning of it, but it's still a relatively simple animal.  I have one on my Bronco as of recently, and the 360 in my 87 W250 has been running the same 1850 for over 20 years and after initial tuning, I've never had to mess with it. 

I would recommend you do not use a Carter/Edelbrock AFB style.  fine for the street, crap offroad

·
Super Moderator
'79 Macho 360 Magnum, Comp 480 cam, Hughes springs, 650 Thunder AVS, Pertronix Flamethrower ignition
7,126 Posts

Attachments

·
5,143 Posts
I am running a edelbrock as well.  There are a couple mods you can do to make them work better off road. 

Edelbrock sells a spring loaded needle and seat.  You can also fill the channel between the two bows with JB weld to help with off camber.  It has done me well.  Have had it on the truck for going on 20 years.  If I were to get a new carb, I would probably go with the Holley Truck Avenger as it was designed for off road, it is just a little pricey.

After the mods I listed above, I have been at angles where I lost the trans (fluid ran away from the pickup) and the engine was still running.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.