Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
663 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
any suggestions on a good carb for off camber driving.
looking for around 750cfms and mechanical secondaries.

my Edlebrock performer performs like crap when the truck isn't flat. i heard there s a trick to keep these from flooding.
something like running a tube between floats, or something like that. sound familure to anybody?

·
Premium Member
9,424 Posts
The tube between the float bowl vents is a Holley trick, doesn't apply to Edel-Carter-brock carbs.

There may still be a float baffle kit available for the Edelbrock to help cut down on slosh... But, if you're into sidehills and high approach-departure angles, you BEST bet is fuel injection...

Short of FI, the "good ole" Rottenchester QuadraJet works at steeper angles than Edelbrock or Holley...

Why on earth do you want mechanical secondaries ? So you can flood the engine at just the wrong moment ?

Vacuum secondaries can be tuned to tip in very nicely, only when the engine is generatng enough vacuum to actually use the fuel. Mechanical secondaries are OK for race aps, but do not have an advantage on a trail truck.

·
29,388 Posts
Yeah, like Smokey said, you can get an Edelbrock off road kit. It is a set of spring loaded needles and seats and they are about $12.00. I have this set up and have been quite happy with it. I believe its as good as it gets without EFI.

·
Registered
328 Posts
One of the four wheeler magazines tested all of these carbs and a stock quadrajet worked the best, as close to efi as a carb can get. The q-jet worked better than the truck avenger, and way better than the edelbrock with the off road kit. The nice thing is the q-jet will bolt right on a thermquad intake, the linkage may need to be modified to work though. Not sure about that.

·
Registered
663 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
ya know what, i d love to put FI on my 440. does anybody have an extra $2000 to spare so i can enjoy that pleasure?
FI is a very easy answer but when you re a broke ass bitch like me....
i have the Edlebrock offroad springs in mine and it s pretty much as useless as before.
thanx everybody for the intel, maybe i ll look into an old q-jet till Smokey puts together a fundraiser for my TBI kit. lol

·
Super Moderator
8,449 Posts
Might try a Thermoquad too. I've had very good luck with the TQ's off road. My TQ in my RC right now is junk, so I just bought this clean aftermarket 9811 off ebay with an electric choke.

·
Registered
190 Posts
I put the same kit in an Edelbrock years ago, and it cured all my steep angle flooding problems. Sounds like you have something else going on there. Also, vacuum secondaries are best for everything below full time drag racing.

·
Premium Member
9,424 Posts
Or propane... then you can run at any angle you want...

Smokey can't even afford a 4bbl (to go on the Weiand manifold he does have), let alone start an FI fund for you... LOL

G

·
tv_larsen said:
Might try a Thermoquad too. I've had very good luck with the TQ's off road. My TQ in my RC right now is junk, so I just bought this clean aftermarket 9811 off ebay with an electric choke.

Is it not....Glorious?!!!

·
Premium Member
9,424 Posts
That is, really IS, a work of art. I can vouch that those sure are grand old hot rod carbs. I don't have any truck or offroad experience with them personally, but I certainly take TV's word for it..

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Smokey said:
That is, really IS, a work of art. I can vouch that those sure are grand old hot rod carbs. I don't have any truck or offroad experience with them personally, but I certainly take TV's word for it..
Oh, I have to agree on that.. My thermoquad was just rebuilt this summer and I wish it looked that good.. Or was rebuilt better.. It's still got the floats set too high.

·
5,141 Posts
I am running an edelbrock performer with the off road kit. I don't have much problems with mine until I get in really off camber sections, the kind of stuff where you may roll it over. I definitely will be going to FI though.

·
5,657 Posts
tv_larsen said:

I just bought a 440 with the same carburator on it. it is a carter thermo quad right? How good is the carb offroad? i also have a holley 650 but needs a rebuild the thermo quad seems to be in good condition.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts