Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought the "factory" brake controller at dealer (the boss liked the looks of it), and got my trailer brakes from i-trailer type store. I have gain at max but just a barely noticable drag when using actuator. Brakes are grounded good through wiring to truck but not directly to batt. (neg). Magnets are working and shoes just making dubious contact contact but should still self adjust, right? Is there a subcatagory below that which I am seeing on my u-connect or am I up against a more mechanical type thing. I am pulling close to 3 tons of boat and just can't avoid the mountains wherever I go.
Thanks All!
Kevin

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Most trailer brakes I have worked on are not self adjusting. Pull the wheel and check for drag ...adjust shoes as necessary, but not too tight

·
Super Moderator
30,041 Posts
Agreed, most are not self adjusting. I would check that first. Also make sure spindles weren't over-greased to the point where it blows past the seal on the back side and on your pads/drums.

Couple other things.....Not sure how it works on the 1500's (I have a 2500), but on mine there are 4 settings:
-light electric
-heavy electric
-light electric over hydraulic
-heavy electric over hydraulic

Make sure you have selected electric and see if there is a "heavy" setting. In the HD trucks, the "heavy" setting is intended for trailers over 10k, not sure how the 1500's are setup.

Probably not related, but worth mentioning....there is a TSB for the factory trailer brakes (not sure if it applied to 1500's). If the vehicle was started with the trailer plugged in, the trailer brakes would not work for the first 4 or 5 applications of the brakes.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.