Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Its happened three times now. The odometer for no reason will stop. Actually its the odometer and the trip meter. The speedometer is working fine. Then after about 50 or 60 miles it will start up again on its own. I also noticed it tends to slow down and speed up on whim. Just another Brute tantdrum.

Anybody ever had this problem and got it fixed? Is there anyone out there that knows why its doing this and how to fix it? Tell me its a simple plastic part replacement!

Haynes book doesn't even address it. I guess they think if they mention it, people will try to disconnect it for their own purposes instead of fixing it to WORK!

·
7,995 Posts
This is on the 91? The speedometer works fine...does the cruise control work ok also? I would venture a guess that it's time to see the man in the white coat....at the speedometer shop. I think I remember there was something about the early 90's speedo's being some strange electro-mechanical nightmare that was from our friends overseas. I will have to look further when I get home.

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
Yeah, that is the case Steve.. The speedometer is cable driven, while the odometer is rolled by the PCM according to the speed/distance sensor.

It could be the speed/distance sensor on the back of the tcase is going bad.. You have a code 15? If you have access to a scan tool, you could check the PCM's stored mileage and compare it to the odometer reading.. if they still match within a couple miles, then the speed/distance sensor is acting up (the PCM and odometer start/stop clicking off miles at the same time).. If the PCM's mileage is way higher than the odometer, then the odometer is at fault (the PCM is clicking off miles while the odometer is not)

Matt {peace}

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yep, this is Brute again.

I had some speedo problems a real long time ago. Its been fine the last 4-5 years.

The only cruise control I've used lately is my foot. The last time I tried it, it worked. But then so did the lighter.

Why is everything on the tcase? I'll run the codes today. I don't have a scan tool, so my only option would be to replace the sensor. Shouldn't cost that much right? That's a pretty cheap try at a fix.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ran the codes--no 15. They were 12, 37, 55 as usual.

Checked Haynes for a picture of the transfer case to see if I could locate this sensor. I found a drawing but no indication of where the sensor is.

I'm figuring the connection could be corroded and just needs to be cleaned up. If it is at the stage where the metal is pitted, I will replace it.

Does anybody know where this sensor is located on the tcase?

·
Registered
299 Posts
I have a '90 RC also. The speedometer is an electrical device. Electrical pulses are sent from the distance sensor to the speedo head. These pulses move the speedo needle and the odometer. If your speedometer is still accurately displaying speed and the odometer is not moving you have a proplem in the speedo head. You really should just let a speedo shop look at this one.

Good Luck!

Bruce

1 - 8 of 8 Posts