Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels and Mopar banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My computer has developed an annoying problem lately. Its running a Maxtor 6.3GB drive as its primary master drive. It also has a Western Digital 12.6GB drive running as secondary master with a 50x CD-ROM running as secondary slave. The Maxtor drive is the startup disk, containing Windows and almost all of my other programs. The WD drive contains all of my other files, movies, pictures, etc. Lately the WD drive has been running s-l-o-w. Running a check of both drives, the main drive has a read rate of about 12000kb/sec, with its write time coming in not too far behind that. The Western Digital has a write time of 530kb/sec! However its write time can keep up to the main drive. The CD-ROM has no read problems.

What would be causing the second drive to have such an piss poor read speed? Both drives are current on their defrag/scandisk schedules, with both of them not showing any problems. There are no viruses on the machine either, the copy of Windows isn't even a week old, so I know thats not the problem, the drive was slow before anyway. Its only been doing it for about two weeks though.

:mad:

·
Registered
130 Posts
If there's nothing on your primary slave, stick the WD on there and see how it handles it on the same channel as the other HD. The WD may only run jumpered to CS in this config.

Also, download whatever wizard or diagnostic WD offers and run it on that drive (may want to disconnect Max. and backup WD first) to see if it flags any errors.

HTH

MPL

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
November 1, 1999 for my drive. :p

Get this though. I downloaded WD's software to examine the drive. For shits and giggles when it formatted the drive, I had it set up a partition. One of the partitions is 9.3GB, the other is 3.11GB. I figured one partition for normal files, and then the little one could be for 'other' files and images. ;) Even after the format, the drive still runs soooo slow. :\'(

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The CD-ROM was connected months before the drive started acting strange. I am running Windows 98 now, were before I was running 98SE.

Though, I did download WDs diagnostic software and let it take a look at the drive. I had it to a drive test, then I had it do a write test. Both tests passed with flying colors. However, when I went into the settings, I noticed that the primary drive was in ATA-33 while the Western Digital was in ATA-66. I think I remembered those correctly, I know for sure it was 33 and 66 though. I changed the WD to match the primary drive.

Now for the strange part. WIth the WD changed to 33 to match the main drive, my computer doesn't see it.

Weird.

Could the Maxtor (primary) be running, maybe, a different type of driver? Like maybe the WD is in 32-bit mode and the Maxtor is in compatability?

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I had 98SE before. I have 98 now. The copy of 98SE, was, um, borrowed, because I didn't know where my 98 disk was. The copy that is on the machine now, even being older, is the software that actually came with the machine.

I am going to correct the WD's settings. I have also downloaded Maxtors diag program. I am going to take a look at that and see if it is possible to update its driver. Perhaps I was looking in the wrong spot for the problem?

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It seems everything is working as it should! I ran Maxtors diag program as well. Both drives are in perfect health.

Thanks guys! I owe you one.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I believe the problem left after the write test and then the reformat. When it wasn't working, it was because I had forgot to reformat the drive after the write test, oops. After the format, it took the data and hasn't given me so much as a peep.

Guiness is good, so the beer can be that. ;)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts