Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The truck is a bone stock 86 Ford F-150, 300ci 6, 4 speed, running on 32 inch AT's.  Truck was at normal operating temp and we had been out on the trail for 45 minutes or so before he drove it into a mud puddle with a big hole in it.  Right side of the truck was up to muddy water from headlight to bottom of taillight.  He started it again while under water and all was good except no go from the clutch.  We pulled it out and took it back to camp.  Starter died so we disassembled it and cleaned it and revived it. 

Problem is the clutch will not engage.  Pedal feels a little soft but the slave cylinder is moving the fork and what little we can see through the boot, it appears to moving anything.  Could we have stuck the throw-out bearing on the input shaft?  Is there something else that could have affected the clutch?

We are supposing that we will be pulling the transmission and installing a new clutch but spending that much money and time right now is awkward...

·
Registered
8,249 Posts
workgoats said:
The truck is a bone stock 86 Ford F-150, 300ci 6, 4 speed, running on 32 inch AT's. Truck was at normal operating temp and we had been out on the trail for 45 minutes or so before he drove it into a mud puddle with a big hole in it. Right side of the truck was up to muddy water from headlight to bottom of taillight. He started it again while under water and all was good except no go from the clutch. We pulled it out and took it back to camp. Starter died so we disassembled it and cleaned it and revived it.

Problem is the clutch will not engage. Pedal feels a little soft but the slave cylinder is moving the fork and what little we can see through the boot, it appears to moving anything. Could we have stuck the throw-out bearing on the input shaft? Is there something else that could have affected the clutch?

We are supposing that we will be pulling the transmission and installing a new clutch but spending that much money and time right now is awkward...
If the Throw Out is stuck In the Pedal will be hard as a rock and you'll bend the clutch pedal before it moves. If the Throw Out is stuck Out the Pedal will be real soft and spongy.

I encountered that on my truck, My Throw out was Stuck In and i ended up bending the Clutch Pedal (With a hydraulic clutch at that) but the Throw out never moved.

·
Premium Member
2,523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well, lets see...driveshafts, shifters, cross member, wiring, hydraulics, mud, grease, more mud, transmission jack, 302 different wrenches, and more...

Oh well, we needed to see how a Ford worked anyway. :(

At least it wasn't that red mud from Shiloh Ridge.

·
Registered
8,249 Posts
workgoats said:
Well, lets see...driveshafts, shifters, cross member, wiring, hydraulics, mud, grease, more mud, transmission jack, 302 different wrenches, and more...

Oh well, we needed to see how a Ford worked anyway. :(

At least it wasn't that red mud from Shiloh Ridge.
When i did the Throw Out in my Diesel i unbolted the Transmission, removed the Driveshafts (put the Shifters in 3rd and 4-Low) and "He-Man'd" the Transmission/Transfer Case backward on the Crossmember and worked on it that way.

I was working outside at the time, otherwise i'd have removed the transmission on the lift with the Trans attachment for the Engine Crane

·
Premium Member
2,523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ChrisKD said:
When i did the Throw Out in my Diesel i unbolted the Transmission, removed the Driveshafts (put the Shifters in 3rd and 4-Low) and "He-Man'd" the Transmission/Transfer Case backward on the Crossmember and worked on it that way.

I was working outside at the time, otherwise i'd have removed the transmission on the lift with the Trans attachment for the Engine Crane
We can probably do that. We have an ancient all mechanical transmission jack with a big flat surface. We should be able to set it at the same height as the cross member and slide it back on it. Kinda depends on the floorboard clearance.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts