Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3,546 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was digging around and found this information.
http://dodgeram.org/tech/transmission/nv5600_spec.html

I was wondering if there are any electronics on these transmissions. Or are they just like any old tranny.

It sure would be nice to put into a cummins swap, with that super low first gear. Plus the front driveshaft would be five inches longer too.

·
Premium Member
7,231 Posts
The NV5600 is a 6 speed manual tranny. This tranny replaced the NV4500 five speed tranny that was used. There are no electronics that I am aware of. The extra gear over the 4500 gives it more mechanical advantage to pull heavy loads and have become popular behind the newest Cummins. The 4500 is fine if you don't plan on pulling the big loads.

Ed

·
Premium Member
5,022 Posts
How much of a headache would it be to pull my auto for a six-speed? I know I would have to do something with the electronics from the auto......just not sure what.
I would rather have the manual for towing and a little more strength for future engine mods :)

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
kyot said:
How much of a headache would it be to pull my auto for a six-speed? I know I would have to do something with the electronics from the auto......just not sure what.
I would rather have the manual for towing and a little more strength for future engine mods :)
If you replaced the computer ( I assume the diesels still have computers) with one for a manual trans.. I would think it would simply ignore the tranny wiring harness.. OR swap computer..and follow the tranny wiring back and see if you can just unplug that section of harness.

·
Premium Member
5,022 Posts
That's what I was thinking but it just sounds too easy :)

·
Premium Member
5,026 Posts
You'll probably get a check engine light out of that, at least.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts