Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am a new member to RCC, but have known about the site for a while....especially since I used to work under Gunpilot. Today marks the beginning of my quest to toss an engine into my '87 Jeep Wagoneer. The donating engine comes from the "Cadavor" -- an '88 Jeep Wagoneer that was rear-ended about a year ago. I shall be camping out at GP's adobe down in Casa Grande as I begin this task. I am sure GP will be putting various pictures of my feat on the site...so stay tuned.... :D

·
Registered
660 Posts
When you toss that thing in, make sure to wear a back belt, they are heavy ;D ;)

·
Premium Member
5,026 Posts
Yeah, and that's his best side (on his knees too) in the Chevy pic.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes it is. On that particular expedition we discovered the Nugget does not work well as a see-saw. We got it high centered on a rock ledge -- bending the crossmember and making for an interesting rest of the trip. Since then, GP and I have installed a 4" lift, newer seats and other interior parts and now the engine. If you come on the Camino trip in November, you'll be able to see the Narly Nugget in action. :eek: ;D

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
After 1.5 days of preparation, the "donor" engine is just about ready for removal. GP and I attempted to yank it out tonight, but found out that there were two bolts "hidden" at the top of the bell housing that still needed to be removed. Upon the rising of the giant fireball in the a.m., I shall get after those two pesky bolts and flick that 'ole 6 cyl. out of there..... :)

·
Registered
943 Posts
Hunny, I had to teach the boy to use airtools...things can be much easier with airtools! ;D ;) :p

Silly Burnsinator!! :D

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The engine swap is complete. Thanks to the wonderful hospitality of GP and Twister, I was able to get the job done. They were nice enough to let me use their valuable real estate in the driveway and make use of his tools. Below are some pics from the whole transformation. GP is going to post the pics later ........ ;D

·
Registered
660 Posts
What did you swap in and what used to be in there. I have thought about getting an older cherokee, and was told to stay away from the little v6, but its hard to find one with any options that doesn't have it. I was just wondering how hard they are to swap out.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The popular engine for Jeep XJ's (Cherokee's, Wagoneers ('87 & newer), and Comanche's) from 1987 and newer is the 4.0 liter engine. The V6 was in '86 and earlier.....and I was told to stay away from them. This was my first engine change, and it was a little bit of a challenge....but I got it done. It took me about a week to do. I basicly took an engine out of a '88 Wagoneer......cleaned and replaced all and everything that could while it was out of the vehicle, removed the engine from my '87 Wagoneer and installed the "newer" engine. Sounds easy....but as GP can tell ya, it was time consuming. If you ever decide to take that route, let me know and GP and I could give you a few pointers to help out.
I personally would love to find another Jeep, rebuild the engine I have out and install it into a Wrangler or something like that... ;D

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
GP,
Thought you were going to toss the historical pics of the engine change on the site..... ???

Here they come....

·
Premium Member
5,026 Posts

·
Registered
343 Posts
Hey guys cool pic on the eng change. I like the color of the rocker cover. Hey George I noticed the Mig in the backround. I'm gonna have to strike a deal with you to weld me up some brackets for my spare tire/jerry can carrier.

·
Premium Member
5,026 Posts
Bring them on over. I'm doing the exact same thing right now.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I am sensing another Chapter Wrenching Session with the welding of the brackets.... Hope to see "Kodak Moments".

·
Registered
660 Posts
I was gonna ask if a 318 would fit in there, but by lookin at the engine bay, it would take some shoehorning and a lot of extra plumbing and wiring.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Not much room in there at all for a 318..... Maybe a lot of patience, GP's welder and, fabrication imagination. ;D The 4.0l might not have the horsepower, but it has the torque needed for any off-roading.....

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I wish that was the problem. The sound has been there ever since last Christmas when I spent a week or so at GP's place giving the Nugget a 4" lift. Ever since then I have been to scared to take it on the freeway for long periods of time. Right before the engine swap, GP gave me a pair of wedges to angle the rear end up and to take the extreme angle off the driveline. That did not help. Tomorrow I am going to get the wheels balanced and rotated....and if that does not help, I am going to put the front end on ramps, jackstands on the rear....and have my wife get in and run it at about 55 or 60 mph while I lay underneath and listen to where the sound is coming from. I'll keep you all posted on what the problem is. ???

·
Premium Member
5,026 Posts
Do NOT lay under it so it can fall on you! Geez la-weez!

·
Registered
943 Posts
Burnsie! I can see it now...Mrs. Burnsie's lead foot mashes the pedal, the Nugget's mighty power lurches forward, one brief little bump, and Burnsie's left with a BFG track on his forehead! :eek:

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I know....safety will be the first concern. The vehicle will be secure..... No worries there. ::)

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.