Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was reading some old forums about swapping from NP435 to NV4500 but still didn’t find what I wanted.

I am really interested in getting the lower gear ratios (6.34 1st) in an NV4500 like found in earlier GMs (93-94) behind a 400 BB Mopar. I’m planning on buying a Lakewood bell housing.

I currently have a 318 mated to a NP435 with a NP241 transfer case which I love. I am swapping in 1 ton axles and 1410 ujoints and mind as do everything all at once. I would really love an overdrive to make highways more bearable but don’t want to sacrifice my granny low for towing and off road and don’t want to go the GearVendors route either.

The GM NV4500 with the 6.34 gear ratio I’m told has a shorter input shaft and that’s the conflict with putting it in the dodge. Is there any arrangement of parts to make this work??

Also will I run into any issues reusing my NP241 transfer case behind the NV4500? Do I need a different tail housing?
Font Material property Screenshot Parallel Number

Font Material property Parallel Screenshot Number

·
Registered
30,113 Posts
like it say's above the dodge & GM NV4500 are the same , so why not use the dodge as it bolts right in without all the BS

·
Registered
2,362 Posts
He says he wants the extra low 1st. IMHO, that doesn't matter in a v8 or diesel truck featuring a tcase with good long-range reduction. 5.xx is plenty; realistically speaking.

The nv4500 bolt pattern has a wide spread and won't land on the small mating surface on a 4spd bell.

NP241 is a factory pairing for both the dodge and GM nv4500.

Reactions: neil4224

·
Registered
30,113 Posts
basically he is looking for HEN's teeth in a TWO year Only tranny that dont fit because of the input shaft , did l get that right

·
Registered
30,113 Posts

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
read this:

More trouble than its worth if you ask me, personal opinion

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
basically he is looking for HEN's teeth in a TWO year Only tranny that dont fit because of the input shaft , did l get that right
Yes you are correct.

read this:

More trouble than its worth if you ask me, personal opinion
And you may be absolutely correct. I might end up having to use the NV4500 from a dodge. I was just trying my hardest not to lose that ultra low 1st from the NP435 @ 6.68:1. I’d rather go to the 6.34:1 then the 5.61:1.

·
Registered
30,113 Posts
well not all is lost BUT you would need both trannies , put the cheby gear set in the dodge case

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
well not all is lost BUT you would need both trannies , put the cheby gear set in the dodge case
Apparently there is more to it then that and that’s what I’m finding out. The dodge and 95+ Chevy input shaft has 22t and the early 93-94 has 20t gear sets. So I’d have to have a custom dodge input shaft made with 20t splines for the Chevy gears, or have Chevy gears made with 22t for use in a stock dodge NV4500. But then who’s to say the gears will actually fit in the case???

·
Registered
2,049 Posts
This bell would possibly work, again with some modifications.

Bucky

Attachments

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well I got ahold of GearVendors today and found out they don’t have a unit for a NP241 light duty version, only the regular or heavy duty. He said from his experience all the half tons have been light duty. Not sure what my 89 W100 would have come factory with. I just know it’s a factory NP435 and NP241. Also I was informed the GearVendors unit went behind the transfer case and not between the transfer case and transmission which I was hoping for, to help with my front driveshaft angle.

Back to square one again. Basically what I’m trying to accomplish is a high low range on-the-fly shifting gear box that I can put between my transmission and transfer case to move the transfer case back a little for improved driveshaft angles and over drive. Is there ANYTHING like this??? NV4500 is sounding like the only option available. Splitting gears would have been nice for towing considering how far apart the NP435 gears are spaced.

·
Registered
2,362 Posts
How high are you lifted that the front driveshaft is a problem? I would consider a high pinion diff or dual cases and just use the dodge ratio nv4500.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
How high are you lifted that the front driveshaft is a problem? I would consider a high pinion diff or dual cases and just use the dodge ratio nv4500.
Once I get the one tons under it and use Jungles kit, I should be around 12” lift and have 40s under it with 4.56 gears. I’ll be running 1410 ujoints and honestly would probably be ok on angles, but I’m overkilling it, might as just go all the way with it. 🤣

·
Registered
621 Posts
Not to be a prick, but get a dodge nv4500. Makes it way simpler and this is probably your only true option, unless you start spending ungodly amounts of money for custom pieces and parts that nobody has on stock.

The 5.61 is plenty low as was mentioned above by u2slow. You drive your np435 right? how often do you start in first gear? I have 4.10s and 33's and it literally does not go above 10 mph on my NP435. That approximate .7 drop isn't going to make or break you. Especially if you are putting it behind a big block. That big block will eat up that .7 in a heartbeat. Only time I use first on my 435 is when towing my other truck on a 20 foot fifth wheel with a 318, and that is just to help with the wheel hop. It still pulls fine out of 2nd if you can stand it.

Neil

·
Registered
2,049 Posts
I don't use my 7.41 low much either. :ROFLMAO:

Bucky

·
Administrator
61,046 Posts
A better option for towing, I think would be to do like Curt did, and get a 4L80 that fits a big block.

I never heard of a Dodge light duty version of the NP241.

Reactions: neil4224

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
I assume the light duty they are referring to is called the NP241DLD. Isn’t the 4L80 an auto? I’m defiantly wanting to stay manual.

This sucks. Defiantly a niche that needs to be filled. Some sort of 2 speed synchronized gearbox bolted between the transmission and transfer case to go to 1:1 to 0.73:1 or something similar. Would be freaking awesome!

·
Registered
2,049 Posts
This sucks. Defiantly a niche that needs to be filled. Some sort of 2 speed synchronized gearbox bolted between the transmission and transfer case to go to 1:1 to 0.73:1 or something similar. Would be freaking awesome!
These are the type of items you find in big rigs. Brownie boxes & auxiliary transmissions.

Have you checked over on Pirate or some of the 4x4 sites? Seems like they are always doubling together transfer cases.

I think your simplest route is the Dodge NV4500. One thing I haven't seen mentioned is the fact that the GM NV4500 has a different output shaft spline count & only bolts to the GM 241.

Switching to a big block throws the bellhousing treasure hunt into the equation too.

Bucky

·
Registered
30,113 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Those are all awesome! They are all at 2.70+ to 1 though. My goal here is to get an overdrive while maintaining my really low 1st for towing and trails. And do any of those shift on the fly? None of the webpages clarified. I mean I guess it’s possible to run 3.21 gears and keep it on 2.72:1 all the time and use 1:1 as an overdrive, maybe, but I feel like that would severely stress your driveshaft with how much force it’ll be under trying to turn 3.21 and 40+ tires. 😂

a gearbox just like those set up with 1:1 and something closer to 0.72:1 would be better I would think. Should be able to split gears at that point, as well as get an overdrive on 4th, similar to how a GearVendors would behave behind an NP435.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts