Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just purchased an 87 Ram Charger with the 360 4bbl. The trans and t-case were already pulled. I have rebuilt the 727 but have never worked with t-cases (or anything 4x4). The t-case is literally in three different boxes. I am not even sure it is a NP208 other than by year of R/C kinda figured it had to be, there are no tags on it. I figured since I have to put it back together I might as well rebuild it and now that I have written a short novel I will get to the questions. 1) does anyone know of a good on-line place to purchase a rebuild kit. 2) does anyone know where to get a manual on t-cases so I can put it back together? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1,894 Posts
Welcome to the site sirst of all.
1) I'll be back in 10 mins w/ an answer
2) #1 or factory service manual.
Mike

·
Registered
1,894 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the welcome and thank you for the link. Exactly what I was looking for (not sure why I didn't find it before). I have a Haynes manual comming but I wasn't sure if it would cover the t-case. Is there specific manuals on t-cases like there is for the 727?

·
Registered
1,894 Posts
The Haynes will give you an exploded view, and a few adjustment, removal, install instructions, but not the meat and potatoes you probably are looking for. Chilton's (ISBN 0-8019-8662-1) will get you closer. One page of disassembly, one page of assembly, but does go step-by-step.
Mike

·
Premium Member
7,231 Posts
I would also agree that you have an NP208. These have chain drive and an aluminum case.

Before you rebuild the t-case, check the outside of the case for long stress fractures that go all the way thru the case. You may also want to check the condition of the chain. If it's stretched you'll need to replace it.

Ed

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.