Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
85 RC W/ 727Loadflite & NP208 transfer case. To remove 208, FSM says to block up transmission and drop the rear cross member, then to unbolt the transfer case from the transmission. In looking at the setup, it appears that I should be able to unbolt the 208 from the transmission adapter and pull the 208 back and out of the vehicle. Thus leaving the transmission held up by the transmission adapter and rear cross member. Am I wrong or am I missing something. Appreciate all help and suggestions.

Thanks MB

·
Registered
6,480 Posts
You can do it just like you want to. You do not have to drop the tranny crossmember. Just be sure to put a jack under that t case cause it weighs about 90 pounds.

·
Registered
8,924 Posts
It would be easiest to do it the latter of the 2 ways but definitly use a jack, or better yet get a buddy.

·
Registered
11,632 Posts
I've done 3 or so 203's and they all come out the same way. Unbolt the drive shaft, unbolt the t-case from the adaptor and get out of the way...let er fall. You can't really hurt it. Oh put an old tire down for it to land on.

·
Premium Member
17,219 Posts
Toyradio said:
I've done 3 or so 203's and they all come out the same way. Unbolt the drive shaft, unbolt the t-case from the adaptor and get out of the way...let er fall. You can't really hurt it. Oh put an old tire down for it to land on.
you do it the dangerous way skip. lol

when doing the 203 i tie a rope to it, run rope out back of truck, unbolt shafts and tcase
go behind truck and yank rope
less likely to get sqaushed that way.

eric

·
Registered
328 Posts
the 208 is an aluminum case. i've pulled it out a couple of times by myself with no problems. leave the trans alone. the hardest part for me was plugging the cad switch back in, and dont forget the vent tube...

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
208 wasn't that heavey. I had studs on the adaptor so I was able to lift it in and sit it on the studs. Of course it is easier when you have 38's and lots of lift. I can sit up on my knees under the truck.

Anyway don't pull the tranny.

·
Registered
797 Posts
I pulled the 208 outta my dads truck in about 15 minutes (if you exclude the time it took cursing at the rusted bolts and other what-nots. That added about 45 minutes to the time) If I remember correctly, it was wicked easy. Do the easier version of the guys have already said. It'll work. Just watch out for those pesky rusted things. They'll get ya every time!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts