Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry if there is another thread on this but I didn’t find it in my search.

My 79 Power Wagon came without transfer case and front drive shaft.

I’m finding several NP203 locally from Chevy trucks. Will this swap to my 727? Does it need an adapter plate or output shaft? To work properly.

Right now I know I’ll also need a driveshaft and short tails shaft. What else?

·
Administrator
62,314 Posts
It needs to be from a dodge, or plymouth. If your transmission has the rear section, with the foot that goes to the trans mount, that is the adapter. nothing else, but bolts are needed. Can come from any 74 to 79 RC/trailduster, or 75 to 79 Dodge pickup. Front shaft would have to be from a RC/TD, or pickup with a D44 front axle.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Expected but disappointing news.

The company that owned the truck before me made some of the crappiest, shortcut repairs ever. The 4x4 trans and X-fer case must have gone bad. They replaced with a 727 and crossmember from 2wd and welded/fabbed up brackets to maintain driveshaft alignment.

Looking for a cost effective way to put back 4x4 but not going well so far.

·
Administrator
62,314 Posts
I would look for a parts truck. You would need the transmission adapter, which is the rear of the tranny. not just a swap the back end deal either, the output shaft you need, is the last part out, and the first in when rebuilding a tranny.

As long as it is the same wheelbase truck, up to a 93, You could grab the transfer/tranny/drive shafts, you are not stuck looking for a NP203.

Or find a truck with a beat up body, and swap yours over.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ruderunner

Intrigued by your comment. Tell me more....

Depending on how much I had to spend to get the it back to 4x4 mode, the only real modification I was thinking of was making it to make NP203 part-time 4WD with lock out hubs.

It all comes down to time and $$$.

·
Registered
2,536 Posts
If its part time 4x4 you want I would suggest forget the 203 altogether. Just get something to start with, you'll be money ahead & less headaches.

Bucky

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.