Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
535 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a donor truck with a 360/727/np203/dana 60 combo. I am going to put this in my 85 ramcharger which has a 318/904/Np208 with the dana 44 front and the chrysler rear. Question is should i go with the 203 or the 208. Which is better?

Thanks,
Rod

·
Registered
5,581 Posts
do u want full time 4x4 or part time 4x4? that would probably be the deciding factor. the 203 is stronger, which is something u should also consider.

Duane

·
Registered
846 Posts
to go with the 208 in that combo you'll need a 727 tailshaft and adapter, not hard to find, alot of trucks came with them. i had both, but i wanted something stronger so i went with the 203.
shawn

·
Premium Member
7,231 Posts
Heres how each stacks up;

203 Fulltime, chain driven
Low range ratio; 2:1
Cast iron case heavy
Can be converted to P/T

208 Parttime
Low range ratio; 2.61:1
Alum case lightweight but can be damaged

The 203 is heavy but it's very rugged. The chain is big and very strong. However it takes more power to turn and therefore trucks equipped with these tend to use slightly more fuel compounded by the fact that these are fulltime units, but even P/T conversions tend to use more fuel than true P/T cases because it still takes more power to turn. However F/T is great for inclimate weather driving.

The 208 is lighter and also internally rugged, but it's aluminum case is it's biggest weakness. It's easily damaged by bottoming or driveshaft impailment. However because these are light weight and take less power to turn, they return better fuel economy figures. The 208 also has a lower, low range gear ratio allowing better crawling performance.

Ed

·
Premium Member
17,219 Posts
an even better question is do oy uwant the 904 tranny or the 727 tranny.

IMHO, i would take the 203 over the 208 any day, even if ti meant having the 2:1 low range.

of course i am partial to my 203 anyway.

eric

·
Premium Member
17,219 Posts
-85pOwErRaM- said:
another thing to consider is how good the crossmember skid plate protects the tcase in these old dodges, this in mind, i would go with the 208, i love mine, very good gearing
the big problem when it comes to breaking the 208 is not due to rocks or other objects hitting the case. it comes from when you bottom out the driveshaft and it spears into the case. other than that i have never really seen a problem with the 208 either, i am just more partial to the 203 and fulltime 4wd

eric

·
Premium Member
5,022 Posts
intenseimages said:
-85pOwErRaM- said:
another thing to consider is how good the crossmember skid plate protects the tcase in these old dodges, this in mind, i would go with the 208, i love mine, very good gearing
the big problem when it comes to breaking the 208 is not due to rocks or other objects hitting the case. it comes from when you bottom out the driveshaft and it spears into the case. other than that i have never really seen a problem with the 208 either, i am just more partial to the 203 and fulltime 4wd

eric
Unless your suspension geometry is off, or your front driveshaft wasn't built with a bigger lift in mind, it shouldn't bottom out.

·
Premium Member
17,219 Posts
kyot said:
intenseimages said:
-85pOwErRaM- said:

eric
Unless your suspension geometry is off, or your front driveshaft wasn't built with a bigger lift in mind, it shouldn't bottom out.
key word there is shouldn't, but when you mix in murphy we all know what can happen

eric

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
just put in a np241 and your problems solved. Oh by the way i might have one sitting in the shop he he

·
Premium Member
17,219 Posts
Overkill said:
just put in a np241 and your problems solved. Oh by the way i might have one sitting in the shop he he
this is even a better idea. still aluminum cased, but stronger than the 208 and lower geared as a plus.

eric

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
yup loloololololololol hummm im trying to decide if i should pick up another one

·
Premium Member
886 Posts
I wouldn't trade my 203 for anything. I love my full-time. So my fuel mileage isn't great. If that was my concern, I'd be driving a Geo.

·
Premium Member
5,548 Posts
RAMROD4X4 said:
I have a donor truck with a 360/727/np203/dana 60 combo. I am going to put this in my 85 ramcharger which has a 318/904/Np208 with the dana 44 front and the chrysler rear. Question is should i go with the 203 or the 208. Which is better?
Are you sure that you have a 904? I've never seen a 904 in 4wd application in a full size truck. My pick is for the 208, They are still pretty tough and have a much better low range.

·
Registered
535 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I identified the transmission by the pan on it. I have only seen 904s with the shape pan i have and it was an option from chrysler!! Besides, with as wimpy as that 318 was a 904 could more than adequatly handle it!!!

Rod

1 - 15 of 15 Posts