Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
THE FACTS:

While driving I have a whining/chattering that gets louder and higher pitch the lower the gear. also it likes to spit our 3rd gear when i let off the skinny pedal (holds fine under load)

I recently put a new throwout bearing and fresh 90wt in this otherwise "junkyard fresh tranny"

THE QUESTION:

What is causes this? my freshly lubed JY trans(aka polished turd) works fine otherwise, but is probly needing a rebuild. what do you wise and hansome guys think?  ;D                               

·
Super Moderator
29,559 Posts
Since I'm wise and handsome, I'll answer this one, lol.  ;D

Could be a number of things, but I'd start by pulling the transmission and checking the pilot bushing, front bearing retainer and release bearing sleeve and then the input bearing itself.  If it's any deeper than that, you may as well rebuild the whole thing.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks for the quick answer! should there be any play in the input shaft? as in shoule i be able to wiggle it up/dn/side to side inside the bearing retainer sleave? (trans out of truck) It has about 1/8" of play. you can take your time on this one, goin to bed gotta get up early. probly check in again tomorrow night. 
                                good night wise and hansome peeps (maybe flattery will wotk twice ;D )

·
Super Moderator
29,559 Posts
Play is pretty normal in the input shaft. Usually not a big deal since the shaft is supported on the other end by the pilot bushing. Probably all the manual transmissions I've ever run have had about that much play at the end of the input shaft. As an upgrade, consider using the Magnum engine pilot bearing instead of the bushing. You will probably have to get one at the dealer in order to get the bearing and the collar that holds it.

Mopar Part Number 53009180:

Back to the input shaft, if the bearing rolls smooth you will probably have to look elsewhere for the issues. Any metal in the fluid?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts