Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well when i was droping the tranny a while back i had some help and my help did not know how to remove the shifter so to make a long story short the peice that hold the shifter in place is fubared
lets say your putting the shifter back in the peice that you push down and give a little turn that whats broken the little clips
so dose anyone know if i can buy one of these beside the boneyard also i have heard that the 435 came in ford trucks (yes i said a bad word please do not get mad if this displeases you let me know so i can remove it)if they do will it be a match with my 435
also dose anyone know of a way to fix this
thank in advanced
richard

·
Premium Member
9,424 Posts
Yes, the shifter retainer collar from any NP 435 should work... and I think maybe some other NP trannies used the same one too. Take your old with you, and match it up.

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
Yea you should be able to find another one in the JY. I hill billy fixed mine on my furd when it broke. Pressed it all the way down and marked the shifter and drilled it out and used a cotter pin to hold it in. It worked.

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
yea i would say so chump i think it is #4 also what is #5 i dont have that on my truck do you know what that is
also chump ive got to ask were do you get all of these diagrams from or is that your little secret hahahaha

·
7,995 Posts
mopar-man 3000 said:
yea i would say so chump i think it is #4 also what is #5 i dont have that on my truck do you know what that is
also chump ive got to ask were do you get all of these diagrams from or is that your little secret hahahaha
This picture is from a 74-77 Factory Parts Manual. I have a few of them because I dont trust the dealer. ???
#4 is listed as...
Retainer, Ball Spring...# 1936220
#5 is listed as...
Cup, Ball Spring...# 1936218

Not being a tranny spert, I would assume that #5 is there to provide a smooth surface for the spring to ride on and eliminate stress on #4.

You might try your local Dodge dealer for these parts...he will probably give you a real strange look as the part numbers are very old and they know it...so the first thing they say is that must be "obsolete"...go down personally and make sure they check the numbers on the computer. If you go to Ford or elsewhere bring the picture with you. Also you might try calling these guys in Florida...they may have one of each in stock? they may be able to describe the parts to you over the phone if need be. Good luck.:)

Arrigo Dodge Chrysler Jeep
6500 Okeechobee Blvd
West Palm Beach, FL 33411
Parts Dept.
561-616-7490
1-800-244-1673

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
next time dont remove the shifter just pull the top off make sure the trans and shifter stay in neutral or it is a prob i hane been doing it this way at my shop because the retainers kept braking and they are hard to find in good shape any way just my 2 cent

·
Registered
230 Posts
when mine broke last year the dodge dealer had no problems getting one actually they had it within 4 hours i think it cost 6 bucks.i had a hell of a time getting the new one on ened up putting vise grips on the shifter then putting a pickle fork betwent he retainer and the vise grips to push it down.i wouldn't use a junk yard one myself.my luck it would break 100 miles from home and i'd be screwed after all it's a cheap part.i think i kept the bag so if i find it i'll post the part number there using now

jason

1 - 10 of 10 Posts