Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
24,598 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
can any one tell me how strong a np208 actually is? dont really wanna go to a 205 so im wondering how much i can get away with with the 208. is there any parts/procedures other than stock rebuild to beef it up?

·
Registered
5,187 Posts
No personal experience with it, but it's said to have a weak aluminium housing, that might crack, don't know how you could beef that up. ???

·
Registered
777 Posts
I have never seen a NP208 in a hardcore off road vehicle that I can recall. Most trucks that I have seen that were built for the ruff stuff use a NP205. If you rock crawl of do anything to were you hit your case on hard surfaces the aluminum won't take what the iron will. If need a Dana 60 front end in your truck to keep from breaking all the time then you probably need a NP205. I would personnally rather run the 205 if I could find one for a Dodge NP435. It really depend on your driving style though, I have seen some people take toyotas and 1/2 trucks places that trucks with 60's and 44's go and not break stuff.

·
Registered
6,480 Posts
One thing that I would beef up if you want to make it really hardcore is the chain. We have a guy here localy that can do a conversion to all gears. I don't know what model t cases he does though. I've had no problems with mine and I've been through some schnizit that would make bigfoot do a second glance.

·
Premium Member
24,598 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
well i dont mind a rebuild and chain now and then (around $250) and an occassional inspection or 2 or even a skid plate.
i sure wouldnt wanna be left out in a field though. expecially if i dont have permission ::) if i broke a chain or sproket or some thing would i be imobilized? or could i still move maybe in 2wd? i heared that if you run 35s with np 208 you really want a set of deep gears (4 10/4 56) i would much rather stay with some milder 3 55s tho.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts