Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone rebuilt one of these? Complicated or easy? I have high and high loc but low does not seem to work. What is the difference between high/low and High/low loc? Everything else has been rebuilt so I may as well rebuild the T-Case!

·
Premium Member
7,231 Posts
What you discribed is an NP203, not a 208.

The 203 is a full time transfer case, that means you are always sending power to all four tires. There is no 2wd ability unless the t-case has been converted.

The 203 contains a differential, much like an axle. When you are in Hi or Low, the differential allows some difference in axle speed between the front and rear axles. When you shift into a lock position (Either hi or low), the differential is locked out and it operates much as a spool does in an axle.

Having the t-case in a locked position allows for the maximum available traction for off road conditions, however you do not want to use hi or low lock on hard surfaces. Your axles do not turn together at the exact same rate of speed at all times. This means that on hard surfaces one pair of tires are fighting the other pair. This is what is called bind up, and this can result in very major damage to your t-case and drivetrain. Using just Hi or Low allows the differential in the t-case to handle the differences in axle rate of speed, and no bind up will occur.

Ed

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ok-I would like to kill the idiot that owned the RC before me. The tag is still on the transfer case and it says 208 so I will have to trust that. The lever in the cab has, in this order-I think- high-high loc-neutral-low loc and low. My front axle does not have lockouts. So the lever is wrong-I assume. If the front axle does not have lock outs then I do not want a 203-I would like to drive it on the road with a front drive shaft. Will the shifter from a 203 work with a 208?

·
Premium Member
24,598 Posts
whoa whoa whoa. it is ok to not have lock outs with the np 203
If the front axle does not have lock outs then I do not want a 203
none of the factory full time trucks (75-79) had lock outs. that just wouldnt make sense.

and if ur talkin about the 208 and no lock out that is ok as well. because most people drive with the hubs locked anyways. lock outs where designed with the inent of possibly saving gas and or wear and tear. but since most dont take the time to lock and unlock em anyways, its pointless.

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah it is definately a 208-just checked at lunch. It is aluminum as well. It is an 87 so I will assume he put a 203 knob on it. Does the 208 go into low range relatively easy or can it be a pain? I guess I will have to play around with it a little more. Does the t-case send power to the front axle in 2H? No matter where I set the t-case lever at the front drive shaft is spinning-I have the truck on Jack stands.

·
Premium Member
16,239 Posts
You going to RJ?? I have an extra 208 that works fine....and a 203 as a matter of fact.

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
cooper30 said:
You going to RJ?? I have an extra 208 that works fine....and a 203 as a matter of fact.
I wish I was going to ramjam-you can't find anything for dodge trucks around here...Theres always next year!

·
Registered
5,581 Posts
the reason you dont have any lockouts on your hubs is because you have a CAD system. check our FAQs for how it works. and no, in 2wd, there should be no power going to the front wheels.

Duane

·
Premium Member
8,998 Posts
But, if you have it in the air, there may be enough drag to turn the front d/s.

Can you hold it from spinning with your hand ???

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
No the front axle is not a CAD-I have been through the axle and guarentee it's not-it is a HD44. The rear is a full floating D60. Both of these axles have been transplanted from something else before I got the truck. The ring gear had 1976 stamped on it.

What is the correct position for the transfer case when looking at the shifter-Pushed all the way forward toward the engine the shifter would be in what? High, highloc, neutral, low-is this corrrect?

·
Registered
8,924 Posts
There is no high lock on the 208. The shift pattern is 2H 4H N 4L

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Ok is there a trick to get the transfer case in low-tranny in neutral/driving it slowly or what? I am not convinced the t-case is bad yet.

·
Premium Member
8,689 Posts
hey Ramit87, by saturday I will own a 80 rc with a 208, I will be an expert on it by sunday,,lol It does sound like you have the wrong knob on it too

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I know you are right about the knob-just gots have some time to jump back on it. I wish I could become an expert that fast! lalol

1 - 17 of 17 Posts