Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

so as it goes I was having lots of valve/lifter noise due to low oil pressure. I installed a mech oil guage to make sure of what is going on in there. So yesterday after installing the new gauge I am finding NO pressure at idle and surges up to 25 with a little gas.

I'm thinking oil pump...
the shop around the corner is saying oil pump...
the parts store is saying oil pump....

so in goes the new High volume oil pump and new pan gaskets and all that fun [email protected]#

I primed the pump, re set the distributor gear(what a differance having it in the right spot, sure wish the guy who built it put it there in the first place.), fire it up, set the timing to +10* BTDC

STILL NO PRESSURE AT IDLE

slowly head in bench vise

Don't make me do it, I'm ready.

oh, but with the high volume pump the surges get up to 55 instead of 25

So, now what? I guess I have to pull the motor for the fourth time and take it back to the rebulid shop, again.

Watcha Think Guys/Gals

·
Registered
88 Posts
I would say you must have a loose tolerance on the rod or main bearings. I would also consider possibly trying a different oil filter due to possible blockage/collapsed etc. A oil filter is easier and cheaper than removing the whole motor again. although if you have had the motor out 4 times and back to the rebuild shop each time it might be time to find a new machine shop.

·
Registered
8,924 Posts
Yea if you've had it to the same shop 4 times, take it somewhere else because they aren't doing something right.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I saw some of the posts about the fram filters and switched it out to a napa gold right before changing the oil pump. I have been trying to get ahold of the guy for the last three days and no returned calls, nothing. I think I might have to file a small claims case and find a new shop.

Anyone know a good shop with resonable prices but good quality in the sacramento, ca area?

thanks

·
Registered
9 Posts
Have you checked all oil galley plugs? There is a plug in the back end of the drivers side lifter galley that will allow oil to pour out, go straight back to the pan & give you low oil pressure. If you pull out the distributor & stick your finger down there you will feel a hole (if no plug), it's a 1/2" NPT plug I believe & it's trick to get it in with the motor in the truck (don't ask me how I know!). Ferlin

·
29,388 Posts
SpotShifter said:
Have you checked all oil galley plugs? There is a plug in the back end of the drivers side lifter galley that will allow oil to pour out, go straight back to the pan & give you low oil pressure. If you pull out the distributor & stick your finger down there you will feel a hole (if no plug), it's a 1/2" NPT plug I believe & it's trick to get it in with the motor in the truck (don't ask me how I know!). Ferlin
I was going to suggest the same exact thing, and don't ask me how I know either!
I don't know your engine's history, but if its just been rebuilt, this is a good possibility.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I this the same hole that I am feeling just in front of the oil pump drive about 3-4 inches down? And do you have an idea to get it to start threading? once it is in place I could get it fairly easily with a rachet but starting it I don't know. I don't want to risk dropping it in the motor and having to tear it apart anyway.

thank you

·
29,388 Posts
Sounds like the one.
It's been a long time but I think I got it started by getting an allen head socket (and maybe a short extension ???) and put the threaded plug on the end, put it on a rachet, then put it down in the hole and started turning as best as I could.
It was a pain to do it while in the truck, but it was do-able.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts