Dodge RamCharger Central banner

Not really a scam, but more of a question about parts ordering - Raybestos

1K views 15 replies 10 participants last post by  jcm3 
#1 ·
So I ordered parking brake cables from RockAuto for my 1977 Dodge Ramcharger. There are three cables; the front one, the one that goes to each wheel and one called an intermediate cable that's more of a solid piece. The two rear cables and the intermediate cable were good to go but the front was too long.

I double-checked to make sure I had the right part, part number is RAYBESTOS BC92808, which has a description that shows that the cable should be 53.750" long. It came in a Raybestos box with the right Raybestos part number on it, sealed up in a pouch and zip tied, but was almost 70" long. It was WAY too long to use, almost a foot and a half too long. I initiated an exchange, thought maybe someone packaged it incorrectly somehow.

The exchanged part came from RockAuto, also the wrong length. Instead of doing am exchange and surely getting a third wrong part, I did a return and looked elsewhere.

I found the same Raybestos part number on Parts Geek, with the right description that showed the right length, and ordered it from them. It showed up and was, you guessed it, almost 70" long. Same identical part, in the same box, with the right Raybestos part number on it, packaged exactly the same way (in a baggie, zip tied with white zip ties). It's clear to me that Raybestos is sending out the wrong parts, or at least the wrong part in this case.

So I called Raybestos and talked to a customer service guy. He tried to brush me off since he said they don't sell to the public but did take the information and looked it up. He asked what happened and I told him that I ordered the part that was the right part number for my truck, with a description that matched the part that I took off. I told him I've gotten the wrong part three times from two different vendors, and he asked who. As soon as I told him RockAuto, he said, "There's your problem. They are not an authorized distributor of our parts, they don't buy the parts from us." So I asked him if he thought that major parts resesllers are taking parts from Raybestos, packaged up exactly the same way and, for some odd reason, swapping the parts in the box that they know are going to initiate a return and poor customer service? He did what customer service reps do and instead of answering the question, repeated that they are not an authorized distributor.

I told him forget it, I'll just buy a Dorman one, and then he said, "We make them for Dorman, too." I had already decided to order something from another manufacturer and had ordered a Dorman one from RockAuto so I cancelled it and decided to buy an O'Reilly part (don't like to buy from them unless I need something now). I can go to them and get customer service in the store if it's wrong.

What a crock of bullshit from the Raybestos guy. Anyone experienced this when buying a Raybestos part?

See less See more
#6 ·
It's not uncommon. Even in Mopar Parts I frequently get parts in that are packaged wrong or labeled wrong. It's not a scam, just someone not paying attention.

And yes, the part from O'Reilly is probably made by Raybestos as well. The issue is that when these mistakes happen, it's usually to an entire order or production run. I get emails a couple times a month to check my stock of a certain part number to look at the date codes to see if my part is in the range that has a mistake and needs to be sent back. Just a unfortunate part of the business that seems to be more common with worker shortages and supply constraints.

#10 ·
It's not a scam, just someone not paying attention.
Yep, that's what I mentioned in my post. There's not really a good board for it but wanted to mention it if anyone else was trying to order one.

Sounds frustrating. Maybe try NAPA?
Yep, I did try Napa. They show it online but when you try to order it says it's no longer available for some reason. I looked everywhere, finally decided to go with O'Reilly because it's not a Raybestos part (which usually I like). Theirs is called Best or some crap, for a parking brake cable it will work.

I tried Napa, O'Reilly, Autozone, Advance Auto and some of the big online parts houses. All of the online parts houses used Raybestos, so wanted to try to get something right the fourth time. :ROFLMAO:

#8 ·
Im quickly learning that with these trucks between wrong, and just plain NLA parts, its better to just mix and match, and learn how to build/fit/mod the parts to work. Im dealing with a bit of a oddball my self. Its the early trucks with the cables running down the center, not the frame. Half is not aval, the other half doesnt show a change in the later trucks.. I ended up using some dodge, some ford, and the rest that I havent changed yet, im going to just make myself to fit.

#9 ·
What he said plus the most of the stuff being cheap chinese crap. When I transplanted a C body rear (disk brake) in to one of my B bodies I had to switch the e-brake from single pull to double pull and ended up mixing a matching to make it work. Stumbled across a resource where I was able to look up cables by length but wasn't smart enough to book mark it. On the potential upside, they're starting to make some things and a couple times I've snagged myself making something work when I didn't have to.

#12 ·
Reactions: jcm3
#13 ·
Been way too long since I tried.

I think I dug up the resources I used but don't ask me how I arrived at 2003 Lexus for body cable extension and 80 GMC for axle. Go to Summit, search parking brake cables, limit results by position, overall length, whatever. Hop around Raybestos / Wagner / Rockauto cross checking description, application and images.

Yes, right part in right box would be easier. I'll settle for wrong part that works and the part of the disk e-brake that had me chasing my tail was the relined shoes that didn't hold together. I spent way too long trying to adjust the custom cable set up before I found this
Smile Wood Fish Banana Metal

#15 ·
I'm getting my parking brake functional again with all new parts myself...I'm in a bit of a different situation where I have axles from a 1992 W350 under my Ramcharger. I used Raybestos cables from the drum to the frame, then from there I'm mix-matching brackets and intermediate cables, and coming from the foot pedal, I had these folks make me one that was the length I needed with the ends I needed. Bruin Brake Cables

Reactions: jcm3
#16 ·
I got the front parking brake cable from O'Reilly today (made by BrakeBest), and it was the right length. I ordered some other BrakeBest brake parts a while back and returned most of them because I didn't like the quality, but had limited options here.

The cable looks good though, I feel good about putting it on the Ramcharger. I probably wouldn't feel the same way about some of their other parts, given a choice.

Just a heads up if anyone needs one in the future. Either that, or ask the vendor to pull one from the box and measure it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.