Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello. I need help. my 86 ramcharger acts like it isn't getting gas. i can drive it down the road and as long as i keep pumping the gas pedal it will run fine but if i don't pump it, it spits, sputters and don't have any power. Also the spark plugs are black and sooty. can someone please help me? It has a new motor with less than 3,000 miles on it. i am lost. New carb. same problem still doing the same thing with the new carb. as it did with the old one. any ideas now?

·
Registered
240 Posts
i would make sure ur hoses from ur gas tank aint leaking or cracked or nething mine just were and i had gas all over

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
forgot to say that while it's idling it is getting plenty of gas. also as long as you hold gas at steady place it will go down the road but it has a miss to it. It has a new ignition box, new distributor, rotor button, and run/start relay for dual pickup coils. No miss at idle.

·
Registered
12,472 Posts
what u got for a carb ? 2bbl ? or 4bbl and what model of carb ? I can only guess biut the charcoal canister might have clogged up your carb or you have a float stuck in the carb . rebuild the carb . 1st replace the fuel filter . 2nd make sure are getting good fuel pressure to the inlet of the carb . if the fuel pressure is bad then the fuel pump is dead or eccentric on the cam is shot .

·
Premium Member
5,548 Posts
Sounds like the main circuit of your carb isn't working correctly. Either its a plugged up air bleed or one of the main jets is plugged. Try Gumout on the top of the carb first and then have it rebuilt. More then likely your carb needs rebuilt.

·
Registered
73 Posts
The plugs are most likely black because your pumping the s%^t out of it but yeah if it's the 4bbl check that float seat tap it with somthing on the top of the float bowl to let the fule flow. it might work for a bit.You are going to have to go inside though it wont fix it self tapping on it to make it work.

Like I say if it's the 4bbl I would first go for the inlets at the float needle and seat. Just my 2 cents to give you a start good luck Mike. ;D

·
Registered
2,508 Posts
Have you checked the manifold vacuum? What is the cylinder compression? You might have a collapesed intake gasket or crack in the manifold, and or, a hanging intake valve?

·
Registered
73 Posts
Yeah I am inclined to agree with ram at this point,do a compression test,also if you can borrow or have a leak down tester get one and check it out.somthing is very fishy sounds just like a nasty vac leak,also dose it backfire once in a while and if so where dose it backfire....into the intake,or the exhaust?

Mike.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts