Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
766 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone ever installed the outer rails or entire roof rack from a burban, blazer, explorer, expedition etc on their Ramcharger? I'm thinking it would be a heck of a lot cheaper than an aftermarket rack, whether it's just the rails or a basket.

I'm interested in doing this so I can securely mount our kayaks or canoe to the roof. I got the idea when my buddy made adapters that cost about a buck to mount wider cross bars on his trailblazer so he could haul his kayaks.

I'm heading to the junkyard today or tomorrow to see what they have, but right now I'm planning on using rubber well nuts in the roof to cinch the rails to the roof for a water tight seal, probably with a bit of silicone for insurance.

·
Registered
29,343 Posts
l had one off a full size ford wagon on mine

·
Registered
766 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
DODGEBOYS said:
l had one off a full size ford wagon on mine
Did you like it as far as serving the purpose you intended for it? How did you install it?

·
Registered
55 Posts
my boat racks are a little more permanent, but they will support as big a boat as you can lift up there... probably not what your looking for (, but it's actually a pretty cool system (used rc came with them ), the pvc pipes over the back bar make it real easy to lift or push boats or lumber or whatever on to the racks,(and easy to pull off) there are clasps that you can't really see in the pick, but they tighten down with a wing nut, so you don't even need ropes for most items... anyway, sounded like you might be lookin for ideas so thought i'd throw one out....

·
Registered
766 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks nojo! That is a nice setup, I can see how that piece of pvc would make it easy to get the boat up there. I had a Chevy stepside with a cap that I put a similar setup on the cap. I really liked it alot so that's always an option.

With the Ramcharger though I'm concerned with having something that will snag brush and trees because I have been known to follow my friends on their 4 wheelers. That's why I think stock rails with custom cross bars would be the way to go for me. They would be streamline so they wouldn't snag brush, and I could adjust where the bars are to suit whatever I might be hauling.

In spite of that, Could you send me a closeup of the mounting brackets? I might want to make something like that but have it detachable.

·
Registered
652 Posts
I just used the Yakima rail mounts for mine.

You know what they say, when you need the correct tool get it otherwise you will finish the job and realize you paid twice the cost of getting the right tool and still won't have it for next time.

·
Registered
766 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Mike_87_RC_318 said:
I just used the Yakima rail mounts for mine.

You know what they say, when you need the correct tool get it otherwise you will finish the job and realize you paid twice the cost of getting the right tool and still won't have it for next time.
Do you mean the Yakima tracks that you then mount the landing pads, towers and crossbars to? That's a $450 set up. If it looks like I'm going to spend anywhere near that kind of money, I'll forgo a rack and keep using my truck to haul the kayaks when needed. I would just like to be able to make the RC a little more useful.

We're not talking tools here. The way I see it, factory rails, as long as they come from a relatively flat roofed suv like a suburban, blazer, or older explorer, will bolt easily to a Ramcharger roof using the very same fasteners that Yakima sells with their rail kit. From there, I have the freedom to look at a variety of rails and determine what rail would be easiest to make adapters for. My buddy made a set of wide crossbars for his Trailblazers factory roof for less $20 in materials.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts