Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i had this prob befor i but the bb in and i still got it now. i cna start the truck by jumpin the starter but cant start it with the key i need some help no clue where to start. also i have no headlights now. so any ideas would be great.

·
7,995 Posts
Which truck? Does this have an auto tranny? Headlight problem is probably a burned fusible link and the starter problem may be the starter relay, it's wiring or the wiring to the neutral safety switch.

·
Premium Member
2,209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Chump said:
Which truck? Does this have an auto tranny? Headlight problem is probably a burned fusible link and the starter problem may be the starter relay, it's wiring or the wiring to the neutral safety switch.
its a 87 d100 it had the /6 with the a833 trans now has a 74 400 with the 727 behind it so there is no neutral safety i was told.the thing is the head lights worked be for the swap and the start prob was be for the swap too.

·
Premium Member
8,998 Posts
if it has a 727 in it, it has a neutral safety switch. it is part of the trans, not the truck. if you don't have a swithc in the trans, you have a 1" hole that fluid will come out of.

·
Premium Member
9,424 Posts
And, it would sure help if it was wired in with the system...

As it is, does the coil get about 8 volts with the key in the run position, and 12 volts in the start position?

And, is the sire from the ignition switch carrying 12 volts to the starter relay ?

·
Premium Member
2,209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
(chump) i got 3 wires on there right now red,yellow,brown/black, and one that i use to start the truck.
(eric)taillights work

·
Premium Member
17,219 Posts
Rebel Ram said:
(chump) i got 3 wires on there right now red,yellow,brown/black, and one that i use to start the truck.
(eric)taillights work
check yhour headlight ground, it should be a wire somewhere up by your radiator, same thing happened to my 82 truck when i had it

eric

·
7,995 Posts
A stock truck will have these wires attached to the following terminals.
Bat...Red from battery power
Ign...Yellow and comes from your ignition switch.
G...Brown/yellow goes to neutral safety switch or ground.
Sol...Brown and goes to starter solenoid.
Bal...Pink and goes to ballast resistor.

Check your yellow wire for 12 volts with the key in the "start" position. The "G" terminal MUST have a ground wire attached to it..whether it's from the neutral safety switch or just from a frame or fender ground.

·
Premium Member
8,998 Posts
and if your key is in the run postion, you can jump from the sol terminal to the batt terminal to start it from under the hood. I have a permanent pig tail there on my truck.

Don't attach it, just touch it. if you attach it there, you'll kill your starter, as as long as power is there, the starter is engaged.

Only bad thing, you can't kill the engine from there unless you smother the carb or kill power to the ignition circuit.

·
Premium Member
4,879 Posts
On the headlights--

Check your hi/low switch on the floor. If the hi-beams work, but the lows won't come on or come on and shut off randomly, the floor switch is usally the problem.

-SM

·
Premium Member
2,209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Chump said:
Did you get the starter relay or start problem resolved?
Nope.. ??? ??? :mad:

·
Premium Member
2,209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Chump said:
Well lets start over..are you getting 12 volts on the yellow wire with the key in the start postion?
yes

·
7,995 Posts
I assume your relay looks just like the picture I have?

You will need 4 wires attached to it to start the truck.
Red..to the red terminal
Brown or brownblack to the middle brown terminal
Yellow to the yellow terminal

And a proper ground to the "G" terminal...I think this is where your problem is.

Tell me exactly what you have and I'll get back to you later...time to go out and eat. ;D

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.